Aspire XC-605 weird behaviour

Options
2»

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

tazzer wrote:

This suggests if you change the CPU/Ram you have to completely erase your partitions if using Windows 10 and rebuild your system from scratch. That would make it a big deal for a lot of people Smiley Indifferent

in my opinion is not the case.

i would reset CMOS, just to be sure to have all the BIOS settings reset to default and not having old saved settings corrupted or sort of.

in my opinion CPU swapping and adding ram, don't need a new windows 10 install.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tazzer
    tazzer Member Posts: 24 New User
    Options

IronFly

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try tonight (assuming the battery can be removed) and failing that I will have one last try at wiping the system following Jordan's steps.

• tazzer
    tazzer Member Posts: 24 New User
    Options

JordanB

In step 7 should I just wipe the C & D patritions of the disk (1TB)? I'm guessing the EFI partition should be left as you say "selecting the wrong disk would be bad". I just want to clarify this step, I'm comfortable with the rest of the procedure.

http://www.itechs-systems.com/fix_corrupt_UEFI_partition.aspx

If the CMOS workaround doesn't work (hope it does) I'll give it a try. I just find the procedure tedious.

And I do genuinely appreciated the advice your both giving me. Next time I'll pay the extra at purchase time and get the right spec machine Smiley Happy

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

--I'm not suggesting that a clean install is needed after replacing ram and/or cpu.  I never said that.  

--In the link you gave, it shows the D drive as the DVD drive.  No, you don't want to use diskpart clean on your DVD player.

--I've given you the best instructions that I can give.  I guarantee that if you ask any reputable IT professional, they will tell you that using diskpart clean and a clean install of Windows 10 is solid advice.  It may not solve the problem, but it will certainly help rule things out....in your troubleshooting.

I'm not an Acer employee.