Aspire R13 keyboard issues.

Options
2»

Answers

• sjm01
    sjm01 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options

I've dealt with level 1 tech support at Acer, and they always point to a software issue and want you to reinstall the operating system, which I think we'll all agree is a waste of time. Level 1 support says they don't have a way to escalate hardware complaints, and I had no luck getting to Level 2 on another issue I experienced (lack of settings options in the touchpad driver/software that I wanted to ask them to add in a future update).  I also agree there's no way they'll fix anything retroactively unless it comes back for service.  At some point, perhaps they'll fix the keyboard in newly manufactured units, but existing stock is going out as is with users left to find this discussion and learn that the problem isn't unique to their machines.

If we're lucky, someone will get this issue to their design engineering team to acknowledge that there's an issue, design a fix, and make the fix available to machines that come back for service.  Maybe that's already happened, which I guess we'll learn after one of the returned units has been serviced and the owner reports back here.

It's pretty incredible to me that a keyboard that is this bad could ever have made it to production without someone noticing the problem.  Acer's test team must not have had touch typing skills...

• member20150106
    member20150106 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

As I said, this is corporate America and we live in the USA. Nothing changes in corporate America unless we do something about it. Hopefully Acer management is not like GM management when an issue is occuring and they fail to acknowledge it.

The issue with the keyboard is real. It took me a few days to find this forum about the problem so hopefully others who own it will also find it.

It shouldn't take a petition to the whitehouse to get some proper feedback.

• demichej
    demichej Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options

Why in the world is this thread marked as SOLVED??!?!

This isn't solved at all. The original poster still hasn't received their computer back right?

We're having the same issues as everyone else with missed keystroked. You have to completely BANG away at the keyboard to get it to work.

I think we're taking this back to the Microsoft store we bought it at. It's not worth it trying to get it "fixed" cause I think this is just a really poorly designed/constructed keyboard. It's too bad because the rest of the machine is AMAZING.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi All,

I wanted to drop in and let everyone know that we're working internally on this issue and reviewing it. While I don't have an update today our global service team is looking into the issue and I will be providing updates as they become available.

I apologize for the frustration you've been experiencing and for now as a suggestion to help I would suggest setting the repeat rate on the keyboard to slow which should help for the time being.

Steps to change your keystroke repeat rate:

1. Open Charms (Win+C)
    2. Settings
    3. Control Panel
    4. Keyboard
    5. Set Repeat Rate to a slower speed

Hope this helps for now,

Cory