Aspire R13 keyboard issues.

TheSaint
TheSaint Member Posts: 4 New User
Hi guys,

My recently purchased aspire R13 has a problem with the kkeyboard in that it intermittently typpes double letters. This doesn't happen all the time, bbut it is annoying. Microsoft remotely accessed my laptop, and couldn't fix it. According to them, they couldn't find any software issues. Acer customer service team helpfully told me to 'just do a factory reset'.
Does anyone else have any ideas?

Much appreciated.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

If you haven't done so already. Go to control panel. Search "keyboard" without the quotes. Adjust (play around) with cursor, key delay rates, etc to see if that will help resolve this issue. Report back.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TheSaint

Hi Jack,

Actuallly that was the very first thing I did. After lots of plaayying around, and a factory reset, I think itts probably a hardware ffauult. Imm sending it back to Acer for repaair. Its oonly 10 ddays old!

• JackE

Good decision! Probably a simple thing like the KB ribbon connector to the mainboard just needing to be re-seated a few times to clean and secure the contacts. But trying to release the plastic catches afixing the KB to the case to get at this ribbon can be frustrating unless you have 3 pairs of hands.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• maximemoreillon
    maximemoreillon Member Posts: 25

Tinkerer

I'm experiencing the same problem, althouh maybe not as significantly.

Have you got your laptop repaired already? If yes, has it solved the problem?

• TheSaint
    Hi, it's still out for repair. Acer tell me that the keyboard has to be replaced.
  • sjm01
    sjm01 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I'm suffering a similar problem with double letters, but also the opposite. The keyboard often misses keys that I type unless I really hit each key hard.  I touch type at about 60 words per minute, and I'm frequently having to go back to put in letters that the keyboard didn't respond to, even though I touched the keys.  Of the many keyboards I've had on notebooks and separate, this is the worst, and I've resorted to using a separate keyboard unless I'm using the R13 on a plane.

I was thinking that the issue might be a defective keyboard on my machine, but after reading several reviews on the microsoft store site mentioning similar problems, it appears that the keyboard is just poorly constructed.  

To type this message, I had to go back and fix 4 cases of double letters and 9 missing letters.  VERY ANNOYING if you're trying to be productive.

• waltmayo
    waltmayo Member Posts: 3 New User

I, too am a very good typist and my R13 is behaving the same way. Very frustrating.

• JackE

If the machines are still within the warranty period, click the support button at the top of this page. Choose you country. Then click contact Acer for phone, chat support, etc. Don't delay in formally describing/reporting your keyboard issues.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TheSaint
    Let's see when I receive mine back. I hope Acer can resolve this issue.
  • sjm01

Tinkerer

Anxious to hear whether they truly fix yours, since I have no desire to send my machine back for service, particularly with a low expectation that they'll fix the issue.

It is certainly a hardware problem, but I'm guessing you'll get a new keyboard with the same issues.  That's the risk of buying a new machine when it's first released.  I like the form factor and features of the R13 enough that I've put up with the keyboard while waiting to see if others would have the same problems after more people purchased the machine.

Based particulary on the same problems being cited on the Microsoft Store Website reviews, it's pretty clear that this is a manufacturing/design defect.  

• maximemoreillon

Tinkerer

Since quite some users are mentioning issues with the R13's keyboard, has anyone noticed a high pitch buzzing sound when the keyboard's backlight is on or is it just a problem with mine?

• waltmayo

I hope so, too. Aside from the keyboard issue the R13 is the best laptop (and most fun) I've every had.

Walt

• sjm01

Tinkerer

no sound related to backlight on mine.

• member20150106
    member20150106 Member Posts: 4 New User

I have had my R13 about 10 days now and have the same issue. The keyboard often misses keys that I type unless I really hit each key hard. In fact when I type I don't look at the keyboard. It def. has an issue with the keys. I''ve plugged in a small anxer wireless keyboard I just bought and I'm typing amazing fast with no key leters missing. I'm not sure if it is because the Acer board keys have an issue the way they are set into the frame or not. Paying over $1300 directly to Acer is a problem. Everything else is great about it and my friends think I'm nuts to spend so much money and have to use an external keyboard.

The option of sending it back is a problem... All my data and no system for x days.... Not really right and it is obvious a problem exists....

Anyone else???

• member20150106

Apparently, main office has no reported issues of this keyboard issue of not being responsive to those that are not single touch typists. 

Is anyone who is reading this a normal typer on the R13 (R7) keyboard and the keyboard is picking up all your inputs? 

As with anything, I suspect a lot of folks are just busy and don't have the time to complain and just accept it as is...

• sjm01

Tinkerer

Does anyone from Acer monitor these discussions as a means of identifying issues?  If this many of us are seeing the identical issue, it is a pretty good indication that there is a problem.

I too am using the R13 docked with a keyboard in the office, and I purchased a Microsoft All-in-One travel keyboard for use at meetings and in hotels because this issue was giving me so much trouble.  I only use the onboard keyboard when I'm in an airport or on a plane, which speaks pretty poorly to a machine at this price level.  As stated previously, I like everything else enough that I'm not inclined to return the machine, but it sure would be nice if this were a fixable problem.  

I'm still waiting for a post from the person above who returned a unit for service to see if that fixed the issue.  It would be a real pain for me to do that, but I'd deal with it by moving my machine onto a virtual drive and running it from my old notebook in the interim if I can get this fixed.

Acer????  Hello.

• JackE

I repeat. If the machines are still within the warranty period, click the support button at the top of this page. Choose your country. Then click contact Acer for phone, chat support, etc. Don't delay to formally describe/report your keyboard issues under warranty.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• maximemoreillon

Tinkerer

I have just sent my R13 to the repair center today in order to get the keyboard and various other issues fixed. Tech support told me I will get the laptop back in 5-7 days. I will let you know about the outcome.

• member20150106

Here's the problem as I see it:

As with most things in life, management is probably not fully aware of this problem. If trickel reports of keyboard issues come in under the repair reporting system which they obviously have, every company has an acceptable deffective rate per capital sales. For them to truly take action people have to be knocking on the front door with complaints. 

So the question remains, are they aware of the problem and would they admit it? Obviously if someone sends it in for this specific issue and they actually fix it, will they apply this fix to inventory in stock? Most likely not, probably too expensive and they probably rather wait for the return. Though, this is a bad customer relations problem for them, especially on a state of the art new design they seem to be first at.

The bottom line is: Reporting issues to the first level at Acer, probably won't get anything done or anyone aware of the problem. One has to reach the correct management person for them to seriously look into this. 4-5 people complaining of this problem, won't get them excited too much. Many people complaining would!

I'm sure at CES in Vegas right now, someone of management is onsite and if I was in Vegas, I'd knocking on his/her door and point them to this thread when they would obviously say they are not aware of any keyboard issues.

• waltmayo
    Check this out. I cannot register my R13. The product registration page says my serial number is invalid. I even downloaded the utility that pulls the serial number automatically so I could copy and paste it into the reg field. I have until the first week of Feb to return it to the Microsoft store... which may end up being my best option.