Regarding Acer Predator G3-605 Graphics Card Upgrade, Thank You Acer!

Options
2»

Answers

• pscytheology
    pscytheology Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Just a word of caution to those intending to overclock the GTX 970. To be fair, I thought it would be safe since Zotac GTX 970 actually has lower TDP than the original OEM GTX 760 (150W vs 175W), so I can increase the power limit of GTX 970 to 106%, giving a modest 159W TDP by right.

However, after running Witcher 3 at 40-45 fps Ultra for a few hours without any issue (I also monitored the temperature consistently with MSI Afterburner... It never exceeded 85 degrees C), my computer suddenly restarted on its own. From my experience, if the problem lies in temperature, it will shut down and not restart. This is likely the power supply issue. From then on, I can't even run Witcher 3 without it restarting almost immediately or in 10 minutes the longest, even after using stock settings and reduced game quality.

Granted, I have never pushed this computer this way before, even with the 760, so I can't say whether the same issue will happen with the OEM GPU. Based on the current situations however, I think the PSU is not designed to be performing at close to 100% capacity for prolonged period and I might have damaged it partially, but permanently.

Currently, I'm ordering a power supply cable adapter (from 24-pin standard to 12-pin Acer proprietary) and a 750W PSU. Let's see whether I can play my Witcher 3 again... Smiley Sad

• selfa89
    selfa89 Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options
    That's sad to hear about your plight. Hope things work out for you. Fortunately i am mostly on hearthstone recently, so i didn't need to overclock my GPU. How's witcher 3 running without the overclock?
  • pscytheology
    Options
    At stock, Witcher 3 without overclock can easily tackle a mixed High and Ultra settings at 30fps easily. With full Ultra, you might see some noticeable dips in framerate in certain scenes. Also, Zotac did a very conservative work on the fan control, hence it doesn't respond to high temperatures well (I recommend using custom fan curve regardless whether you overclock or not). At the moment, the PSU doesn't have any issue when im playing lighter games and doing day to day activities.

Anyway, just another note, it turns out that my PSU is not of the same brand as the OP, although it bears the same rating of 500W 80plus Gold. So, your mileage may vary.
  • pscytheology
    Options

Just an update... After upgrading to Cooler Master RS750, everything went well and I can play my Witcher 3, with even some overclocking too!

643597754355 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Please help me! I am the owner of Acer Predator g3-605 (i5 4460). Recently I decided to change the graphics card. I swapped the 760 1.5 gb for an Msi Rtx 2060 ventus xs 6gb oc. The computer for some reason does not recognize the video card (it is completely serviceable, I carried it to the service center). I updated the operating system for it, bought a better cable, downloaded drivers for it, but it still does not recognize it. Help!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Options
    You probably should have started a new topic, since this one is so old and going through different questions... Which OS did your Predator come with? Are you booting UEFI or Legacy? Some of the newer cards won't work with a legacy boot because they load a portion of their stuff during the UEFI boot process, and that 4th gen machine just might be old enough...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.