Regarding Acer Predator G3-605 Graphics Card Upgrade, Thank You Acer!

Options
selfa
selfa Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
It started a couple of months ago when i decided to change the Graphics Card (originally a GTX 760 OEM 1.5 GB). Forfeiting the generous warranty seems crazy, but i chose a risky bliss instead since building another custom PC from scrap costs much more. [My Acer Predator Model was not found on Official Websites but it was actually quite recent so its this one here : http://www.courts.com.sg/Products/PID-IP086412%28Courts%29/Computers/Desktops/ACER-CPU-INTEL-CORE-I74790-16GB-WIN-81-G3605-I479MR161T ] Reading up online and Nvidia Forums, i stumbled across many threads of Acer Predator owners encountering problems in upgrading, where there seems to be a universal problems with booting and drivers installation. Fear-stricken, i remained adamant in getting an upgrade for the Graphics Card. Dropping down at a local PC shop, the helpful assistant there was able to picked out the suitable Graphics Card that would fit into the Acer Predator without causing overheat to its minimalist tower design. (It was a Zotac GTX 970 Regular Twin-Fan Cooler Version) http://www.zotac.com/products/graphics-cards/geforce-900-series/gtx-970/product/gtx-970/detail/geforce-gtx-970/sort/starttime/order/DESC/amount/10.html Surprisingly the guy told me that the Acer Predator actually uses a pretty great cooler fan which is a component from a Japanese Manufacturer called Optec Dai-Ichi Denko, and PSU despite being only 500w it is actually a 80+ Gold Standard which was already one of the best grade for 500w PSU. And so, with anxieties and worries, i waited for the technician to load in my new Graphics Card. Upon completion, everything worked fine to my surprise! Now after a couple days of honeymoon period with my new Graphics Card, i let it ran a Firestrike 3d Benchmark and the improvements over its stock GTX760 was tremendous! URL of my Benchmark Result : http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4957788 which exceeds even the score of the Original GTX Titan. Considering that i bought my Acer Predator at an attractive promotion price and the extremely affordable Zotac GTX970, i managed to achieve better performance than an Asus CG8890-SG002S which is still retailing at nearly double the price-tag of what i spent on both the Acer Predator AND the Zotac GTX970. Now that the latest Acer Predator fluently supports Graphics Card Upgrade, most owners trying to do the same should have their ease of mind. Note that it is too small for the Higher Tier GTX970s and generally all the GTX980s due to its lack of accommodation for it while it would also cause severe overheat potentially even if it fits. (Last but not least please always remember that by trying to upgrade the Graphics Card yourself, you would be forfeiting your warranty entitlements) A Big Thanks once again, Acer!

Answers

• HavocxXxSvu
    HavocxXxSvu Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    hey selfa do u have any updates? I'm going to order the same gpu. Thanks you for sharing your experience.
  • selfa89
    selfa89 Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options
    Hi Havoc. Are you using the latest model also? The card works fine and everything is brilliant so far. The heat is slightly higher due to stronger GPU capability but other than that which is perfectly normal, I can say the upgrade for my GPU is a great success! =)
  • selfa89
    Options
    And take note that most cards would have a trouble fitting in the smallish ATX casing of the Predator, so if you are getting a GTX970 from other brands, just make sure its going to fit in and well-ventilated. Although the Bang for Buck and Compatibility of Zotac's little but mighty twin-fan GTX970 is very hard to beat for a Predator User.
  • HavocxXxSvu
    HavocxXxSvu Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    THANKS selfa. I ordered it and will take ur advice. sorry it to a bit to get back to you. thanks again.
  • SorryPorpoise
    SorryPorpoise Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hello Selfa. I bought the same model as you a month ago. I feel that the stock graphic card isn't good enough for the latest games. From what your post mention, I assume that I can just upgrade it to the zotac gtx 970 (4 gb). Please help me as my knowledge for pc isn't that great hahaha.
  • selfa89
    Options
    Hi Porpoise. Yup, just remember to do a clean install of the display drivers. My Nvidia Driver version is 344.75 and everything works great so far! =)
  • SorryPorpoise
    SorryPorpoise Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Just wondering . What's the price of the graphic card and where can I get it in Singapore ? Funan? Thanks a lot
  • selfa89
    Options
    I got mine from PC Theme at Funan Level 4 for around $448 during that time. You might wanna check with them for their current price before I heard its a promotion price.

One thing to note is that the veteran guy MR Yazid will help you do everything from swapping the cards to installing the drivers.

Only qualm is that the driver he installed for me was not as optimized as compared to the current 344.75
    (Which I got it from the Official Zotac Website. I uninstalled all the drivers before installing the new ones, which during the middle stage everything will jump back to primitive resolution but its perfectly normal. The card would start to shine imo once you got the driver 344.75 (or whatever newer offered on Zotac Website) to work!
  • selfa89
    Options
    Sorry its Sim Lim Square Level 4, not Funan! My bad!
  • sentientgames
    sentientgames Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

This topic has me quite optimistic after seeing nothing but negativity regarding upgrading Acer Predator gaming machines. That said, I still have some questions and concerns. First, I bought mine last May (2014) and it's a Acer Predator G3-605 UR1A. I noticed you mentioned that the latest Predator was what was being upgraded. Any idea if mine would qualify?

Also, speaking of drivers, if I'm currently running with an AMD gfx card and I chose to upgrade with the Nvidia Zotac 970, would I run into issues upon first boot after installing the card?

• selfa89
    Options
    Hmm not sure about the AMD version. However if yours is the default Win 8 / 8.1 version, they are usually secure boot ready (with 970s being compatible) and should work.

As for graphics card, usually I will uninstall all the AMD drivers (after you downloaded the installer for the 970s) then simply do a clean install of the new driver (during this process your display will revert to VGA primitive resolution which is perfectly normal)

Hope it helps, thanks!
  • sentientgames
    sentientgames Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Should I install the Nvidia drivers before or after I replace the card?

• selfa89
    Options
    For AMD. Best is to uninstall all AMD drivers first (after you had the NVIDIA drivers on standby). Then install the Graphics card before you finally install the new drivers.
  • Juha
    Juha Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Does this work if I have this model of Acer Predator:http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/40703/dqkcq/Acer-Predator-G3-605-poytakone-Win-8-1 (Its actually with a i5-4460).....

• selfa89
    Options
    Hi Juha. I believe it will work since mine had the same GTX760 1.5GB RAM as yours in the first place! Smiley Wink
  • eccx
    eccx Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you Selfa!

I took your advice and upgraded the GTX 760 OEM with the GTX 970. It works great.

Your experience helped me a lot. Smiley Happy

• selfa89
    Options
    You're welcomed eccx! Glad that you're enjoying your new Acer Predator Experience! Smiley Wink
  • pscytheology
    pscytheology Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Luckily I found this thread when waiting for Witcher 3 release... Upgraded it, and finally for the first time since forever, I can play games in Ultra setting! My warranty is running out in a month anyway Smiley Very Happy

Pretty surprised to find that the new card is actually smaller than the OEM card in the machine. There might be bigger cards that can fit into it, but the one recommended by the OP fits my budget the best, I suppose... Did the card swap myself, no need for driver uninstallation, just grab the latest driver from NVIDIA site (ZOTAC site simply hard-link the files from NVIDIA anyway) and run the installation again.

• selfa89
    Options
    Hi pscytheology, glad to hear that you're able to enjoy the games to your heart's content! I am still enjoying it even right now! Wouldn't imagine running Farcry 4 on the old GPU because they run and looked fantastic on the 970s!

Cheers!
  • eccx
    eccx Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Witcher 3 is also the primary reason that I upgraded to Zotac GTX 970. I can score 9130 with 3D mark demo. Not only is 970 smaller than 760 OEM, it's also using lower power consumption. One of the thing that I encountered is the 4k monitor was not recognized by my PC. And it worked later after I flashed the latest BIOS from Acer. The GTX 970 is such a nice graphics card!