Answers

• Rudberg
    Rudberg Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options
    Got a new update from acer today and now Netflix working again Smiley Happy
  • tackybear
    tackybear Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Unfortunately Android OS dropped support for flash content (Netflix used flash interface) several years ago, so you cannot use Netflix on browser. Acer has not provided any fix for this... But still markets tablets with Netflix logos on the box. There are several "fixes" to this online, all will require you to "hack" the OS, which I do not recommend. It is unfortunate we have to wait, or pressure Android to get off those collective butts and get flash support back, or pressure Netflix to switch to html5.
  • sisterlindaleonard
    sisterlindaleonard Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    morisn said:

Hi,

I pretty much looked into this in various ways, first with Netflix support, then 'Google guru' with no successful results.

So lo and behold, I am here where I should've probably come in the first place. I just thought that my issue would've been so common that I wouldn't have had to post one entry of my own.

Anyway, that was my introduction as I believe I'm required as as a new comer to Acer forum.

The issue is as follows:
    I bought the Acer Iconia A1 810 a few months ago with the main purpose to view movies on Netflix. My BB Playbook did not support it and for the look of it after the release of the Z10/Q10 and their respective OS's it was not going to be supported so I decided to go Android, and Android did I go.

After purchasing a brand new Iconia, the experience was almost instantaneous, and in a good way. I had to learn the differences from my good ol' Playbook and this one but it was worth the 'learning curve'. I was, most of all, able to watch Netflix movies in the comfort of, ahem, well, I won't go that far explaining but I was able to watch it and all was good and 'dandy' (you can perhaps tell my age by my last word)

Anyhow, all was good and pretty until something happened: I noticed that the movies started to play well, but after a few seconds, the screen started to become distorted. By distorted I mean, it first started to show some sort of shade around certain areas of sillouets, such as people, the hair was all greyish and it refreshed when a drastict change in the video such as a different camera was used for similar scenes, but then, it went back again. I don't know how to accurately explain this other than saying it was really distracting. Sound was fine and Internet connection, the best for this type of video streaming.

I then noticed that the viewing area of the screen was split into two. The bigger screen and then a bar-like section on the right-hand-side of the screen. That portion remains frozen on the scene that was playing at the moment of the split. And then, all video started become really, unviewable.

So, I decided to contact Netflix to find out if they had heard of something like that or if they could give me an idea of what the problem could be but their support did all they had in their toolbox without success and apparently, never heard of my issue. True or not, I was only offered a pat on the back for my patronage and a thank you for having chosen their streaming service.

I don't want to go in details here as what was done because the list is long, but if you care enough to ask, you can shoot something and maybe that was not done... But to save you some time: rebooted=Yes, reinstalled Netflix=yes, Reinstalled and rebooted =Yes, Tried to use the factory Netflix version = Does not work anymore. After a window opens similar to the one you see after you log on, the screen is unresponsive. Changed Netflix settings = Yes, Changed Android settings or cleared cache = Yes... Reste my Android OS to the factory provided software, NO. Unfortunately and even if the main reason why I bought this device was for Netflix viewing, I already have other apps and settings that don't want to reinstall and redo just for one application, at least not now or while somebody tells me and proves that that's the only way to go to fix the problem. The list goes on...

Well, I then went to the broader network (google) and even if I found similarities, nothing was quite the same. Most people have problems with audio or video that cannot be played at all. I, however, can play video on VLC with no problems. YouTube, no complaints. So from other video streaming products stand point, things are OK. NEtflix seems to be the problem child.

Now, what I do remember is that I downloaded the lastes Andriod OS version which I think it's the current one:

Android version: 4.4.2

Kernel version: 3.4.67

Image version: Acer_AVOKO_A1-810_RV0BRC02_PA_CUS1

Build number: Acer_AVOKO_A1-810_1.032.00_PA_CUS1

Image P/N: FM.NLXA0.05N

Ok, not sure what of the above is necessary or not for the support team of whomever happens to take the time and thank you by the way for doing so, I know my post is long enough but I cannot seem to find a better way to vent my frustration, thank you very much.

Any ideas? Anyone kind enough to help before I through this little piece of hardware and change my current opinion on this tablet? By the way, I am in no way in a purchase bing. If you could read my first few lines and noticed that I mentioned I owned a Playbook and all was fine but the fact that it didn't play Netflix and did not get that I am in no way interested in buying the latest thing without trying first, has not really paid attention not cared enough to help (This goes to Acer support, not to the common user whose only purpose of being here reading my post is to earn brownie points)

Thank you very much for your support, in advance.
    Moris

Morris, you are far ahead of me in your knowledge of computers! I played a Google movie one time, and my screen went black; I cannot get back on Google movies because of this. Can you or anyone help me with this one problem? Thank you!