Acer S3 ultrabook with 20GB SSD - Can't reload Windows 10 on new drive

Options
DJS1960
DJS1960 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

INSYDE Aspire S3 V1.25
System Serial Number: 554TH01016

I think this is similar to the Acer Aspire S3-951

I have replaced the 500Gb Seagate with a 240G Sandisk SSD.

When reloading Win 10 (clean install) from a USB bootable memory stick, I get to a point where I have a choice of loading it on either the 240G SSD (DISK-0), or on the bvuilt-in 20GB SSD (Disk-1), which serves as a hybernation partition.

I can delete or create partitions, format, all is fine, but when I instruct Win 10 to load windows on the 240G SDD, I get the following error from windows:

"We could not create a new partition, or locate an existing one"

I deleted both Disk0 and Disk 1 partitions, but can't not lead windows on either partition.

Any ideas on this ? 

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

I don't have your computer model......

If I were to clean install windows 10 on your computer model, I would choose "custom install" and then left click on the 240 GB drive....then click next.

customwinedt.jpg

And then I would watch the video below which makes reference to clean installing windows 7......which I assume would also apply to clean installing windows 10.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30001#_ga=1.103107328.1462299176.1467840632

Not sure if it will work, but it is what I would do.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    Options

Don't partition or format the drives.  Leave them as unallocated space when you install windows.  Windows knows how to automatically partition and format.  Smiley Wink

Just left click on the drive (unallocated space) where you want to install windows and then click Next.

• JordanB
    Options

And then after you get Windows installed on your main drive......watch the video.  

Edit: If you don't need Intel rapid start, then it might be possible to just skip the 20 GB drive.  Not sure.  If you do need it, then you might have to search Google for correct Windows 10 driver.

• DJS1960

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you. I did exactly that, but I still get the same error message.

But the link to the 20GB hybernation method is much appreciated.

I just read that someone states that this error may be caused by a USB flash disk installation. Does not make sense.

• JordanB
    Options

Yeah I don't know.  Are you sure you're trying to install on unallocated space?

A lot of people on this forum have legacy vs UEFI problems on this forum, but I don't have time to help you with that.

The link below shows someone had no problem installing Windows 8.1  so not sure why you're having problems with windows 10. 

Anyway, I'm out of ideas.  Maybe someone else can give you some tips.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/Configuring-boot-SSD-on-fresh-windows-Install-on-Aspire-S3-951/td-p/323387

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Had a similar issue with an R3 replacing the 500GB disk with a 250GB SSD but had to reduce the c: drive from 500GB to 220GB leaving the rest unallocated and then take a system image. It will not restore an image from a larger drive to a smaller.

• JordanB
    Options

I know most people say that simply deleting the partitions is all you need to do.  However, I never do that.  I use "diskpart clean" to ensure it's really clean (At least in my own mind Smiley Wink )

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465(v=ws.10).aspx

Try wiping both the 20 GB and the 240 GB with "diskpart clean" and let us know how it goes.  Make sure you power down your computer after wiping both drives.

• padgett
    Options

BTW if truely paranoid, the only way to really erase a disk is with multiple overwrites and will take hours (SSD may be faster but still not a few minutes).

• JordanB
    Options

If the previous link doesn't work, then the last thing I can think of is to create two seperate Windows 10 USB drives with rufus (download the iso).  Try the two different configurations listed below.

rufus_enedt.png

rufuefi.png

• JordanB
    Options

@padgett

It's not so much about that.  I just remember reading somewhere that using diskpart clean is guaranteed to delete the MBR whereas just deleting the partitions may not necessarily do that.  I don't think that's the problem though.......I just wanted to rule it out.  I'm pretty confident that using diskpart clean will rule it out.

Also, he's trying to clean install vanilla Windows 10.  He isn't trying to install a custom Acer image.  So in theory, he should be able to install a vanilla Windows on a smaller drive.

I've never actually heard of the message "Setup was unable to create a new................"

But then again, I've never used a computer with a hibernation drive.....so maybe that has something to do with it?

• padgett
    Options

Possible, when I decided to go to a 250 GB SSD from the 500GB (about 60GB used at that point) I recall gatting a strange error when I tried to restore from a system image until I reduced the size of the partition on the 500GB below that of the 250 (think used either 200 or 220 to leave room for the recovery partition).

Beyond that I think the new drive must be formatted for UEFI for the S3 BIOS to work with it. I would expect a Windows 10 install disk to work with either Legacy or UEFI but is dangerous to make assumptions.

And on the other thing let's just say in another life I had to protect from very well funded attacks.

• DJS1960

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you for all the advise from you all, it's much appreciated.

I am currently busy with the diskpart commands as suggested, as well as using most of the other suggestions.

I am sure I will be fine after this.I did see while doing this, that windows assigned drive C to my bootable flash disk drive with the Windows 10 installation files on, which is probably part of the problem. I also noticed that before the diskpart command, is that somehow my new 240g drive only have 700Mb available space available.

Will give feedback a bit later when done.  

• JordanB
    Options

Thanks for the update.....

You can try searching the forum and you'll find topics like the example one below.  I didn't read all of the posts, but the solution may reside somewhere within.

http://community.acer.com/t5/S-and-R-Series-Laptops/GUIDE-Install-ExpressCache-for-SSD-Caching/td-p/64381

• DJS1960

Tinkerer

Options

Also relevant to the problem the following link 

https://neosmart.net/wiki/setup-was-unable-to-create-a-new-system-partition/

I tried the similar link above of using diskpart ( https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/asiasupp/2012/03/06/error-we-couldnt-create-a-new-partition-or-l... ), but I still could not install windows, getting the same error.

I then borrowed a USB external DVD reader from a friend, and the installation worked first time after that.

There appears to be an issue using a USB memory stick to install windows on the Acer S3 with the internal 20G HDD.

Many thaks again for all the folks helping me on the issue, I learned a lot from all of you, and I will for sure use the DISKPART command a lot more in the future.

The issue is thus solved.