Acer Aspire ES 15 (ES1-533-C3UW): Legacy BIOS Missing

13»

Answers

• MegasBaladoros
    MegasBaladoros Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited June 2019
    ArjendB said:
    Re-installed 18.04.1, rebooted, installed Synaptic in Software Centre. In Synaptic I found the troublesome secureboot-db and manually excluded it from update. All other packages were updated succesfully.
    Finally, I excluded secureboot-db from update in terminal mode by 'sudo apt-mark hold secureboot-db'.
    The Ubuntu update manager did not freeze again.

This just worked for me on an Aspire ES1-533.
    Two years ago I installed Ubuntu 16.04 using the Sladek90/Pueseso method.
    With 18.04 I was facing the same problems as ArjendB. I tried his solution and it seems that the problem is solved. Thanx! I just LOVE this thread :)
  • eatbeans
    eatbeans Member Posts: 1 New User
    ArjendB said:
    Re-installed 18.04.1, rebooted, installed Synaptic in Software Centre. In Synaptic I found the troublesome secureboot-db and manually excluded it from update. All other packages were updated succesfully.
    Finally, I excluded secureboot-db from update in terminal mode by 'sudo apt-mark hold secureboot-db'.
    The Ubuntu update manager did not freeze again.

This just worked for me on an Aspire ES1-533.
    Two years ago I installed Ubuntu 16.04 using the Sladek90/Pueseso method.
    With 18.04 I was facing the same problems as ArjendB. I tried his solution and it seems that the problem is solved. Thanx! I just LOVE this thread :)
    I had the same problem, it was successful in skipping secureboot-db but after doing a sudo apt-get upgrade, it hang again on "Installing for x86_64-efi platform." The only way to get passed this is to 
    "sudo apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi-amd64
    sudo grub-install --no-nvram --root-directory=/mnt"
    but I apt-get upgrade does everything automatically.. I can manage to install ubuntu but with lubuntu, these errors happen and cannot use the machine because apt-get upgrade hangs every time
This discussion has been closed.