Let's Get Social!

Ask our members for help or assist others.
You are all welcome at Acer Community!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ES1-132 cannot install other OS than Windows 10, BIOS options missing

ES1-132 cannot install other OS than Windows 10, BIOS options missing

New User

Re: ES1-132 cannot install other OS than Windows 10, BIOS options missing

Could you please give a bit more description of the steps you took? Although I have used ubuntu before, I am not very comfortable with programming it so much. I can't seem to be able to mount the efi partition. It shows up when I run fdisk, but when I try to mount it, I get an error message.
New User

To mount the EFI partition, you need to:

1. Install Ubuntu;

2. Boot using Ubuntu USB and select "Try without installing";

3. Launch Gparted to get the EFI partition address. In my case it's "/dev/mmcblk0p1";

4. Open the Terminal (ctrl + alt + T);

5. In the Terminal execute the following to create a directory in the "media" folder and to mount the EFI partition to that folder:

sudo mkdir /media/EFI
sudo mount {replace_this_with_the_address_from_step_3} /media/EFI

In my case it would look like:

sudo mkdir /media/EFI
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/EFI

That's it.

After that, you need to create the /EFI/Linux/ folder. This can be done with the following command:

sudo mkdir /media/EFI/EFI/Linux

When you will have the folder ready, you can copy all the existing files from the folder that was created during Ubuntu instalation. In my case, the default folder was /EFI/ubuntu/. To do so, you can use the following command:

sudo cp -R /media/EFI/EFI/ubuntu /media/EFI/EFI/Linux

I hope this helps.

New User

1a. could someone please explain what is the bootloader, 1b. where it is stored on the C drive ?

A. bootloader comes after the bios and is used to boot the operating system.  This is where the issue is on this computer.    / = root directory. a bit different with linux http://www.linfo.org/root_directory.html

2. if you use refind as a bootloader, what is the original bootloader that you are replacing ?

3. when you type

/media/EFI

is that basically C:/media/EFI ?

A. kind of but not really   - The root directory is the directory on Unix-like operating systems that contains all other directories and files on the system and which is designated by a forward slash ( / ).

4. is there any way to replace the bios on the machine. I have been in contact with people at acer, and they implied they have no intention of changing the bios and don't see this as a fault.  I can copy paste the conversation here. I know there are alternative bioses out there like coreboot, but has anyone tried or managed to successfully complete this ?   thankyou

New User

New BIOS 1.09

1.Support new MXIC25L64 bios flash part.

2.Support WMI serial number and UUID.

Announcements

Watch our Global Press Conference Next@Acer for more information about the latest and greatest we have to offer!

New Here?

New to Acer Community?

Register to get all the benefits of being a member! Get social and introduce yourself in our Welcome Forum, or learn about our ACE Program and What's Happening at Acer.

Assistance by Acer