Predator Helios 300 (2020) Black Screen on Startup, Please Help.(PH315-53)

Options
BATHALA_
BATHALA_ Member Posts: 24 Networker
edited March 2021 in Predator Laptops
I'm currently experiencing a problem with my Predator Helios 300 2020 (PH315-53-72XD) where on startup it just shows a black screen after the predator logo, the screen isn't completely dead since I can still see a back light on it, and for the fact that the predator logo screen still shows up completely with sounds. I also still have access to BIOS and sometimes Windows 10 would prompt a troubleshoot screen "It looks like windows didn't load correctly", where using that I tried to go back to a previous restore point (thinking that a windows update might have caused the problem) to no avail. Additionally, I also know that the OS still boots up until the windows log in screen because my Bluetooth headphones still automatically connects to my laptop, so there is that.

For more context, this all happened after I force shutdown my laptop using the power button when my game (Witcher 3) suddenly froze up while the audio still works fine, I couldn't exit, alt-tab, Alt+f4 etc. so It was the only option I had. If anyone could kindly please help me, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,111 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    You could try a battery reset, disconnect from mains, press Power button for 9 Secs, release the button and leave the laptop to rest for 10 Mins, press Power button to start normally and see whether it fixes the problem.
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Options
    BATHALA_ said:
    Hi,
    You could try a battery reset, disconnect from mains, press Power button for 9 Secs, release the button and leave the laptop to rest for 10 Mins, press Power button to start normally and see whether it fixes the problem.
    Hi, thank you for the response.

I've already tried the power reset several times by holding the power button for 12/30 secs up to 1 min, although not 9 secs because it turns my laptop on (I'd assume that the laptop should be off during power reset, right?), I've also left my laptop to rest for 2/3 to even 5 hours, but doing so doesn't seem to do anything as I still get a black screen after the predator logo.

Mind if I ask, is there any indicator that shows when a laptop is undergoing a power reset? How would I know if I really did a successful "power reset"? Thank you.

No problem, yes you have to shutdown the laptop and AC adaptor disconnected during the reset, when you press the Power button the keyboard backlight comes on for few second and turns off, after the reset leave the laptop for a while, reconnect the AC adaptor and let it fully charge tha laptop(it won't take too long).
    As you have already tried the reset, you could try connecting the laptop to an external display(TV or a monitor) if possible and see whether you can view the images as normal.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
  • BATHALA_
    Options
    Hi,

I've already tried the power reset several times by holding the power button for 12/30 secs up to 1 min, although not 9 secs because it turns my laptop on (I'd assume that the laptop should be off during power reset, right?), I've also left my laptop to rest for 2/3 to even 5 hours, but doing so doesn't seem to do anything as I still get a black screen after the predator logo.

Mind if I ask, is there any indicator that shows when a laptop is undergoing a power reset? How would I know if I really did a successful "power reset"? Thank you.

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Options
    BATHALA_ said:
    Hi,

No problem, yes you have to shutdown the laptop and AC adaptor disconnected during the reset, when you press the Power button the keyboard backlight comes on for few second and turns off, after the reset leave the laptop for a while, reconnect the AC adaptor and let it fully charge tha laptop(it won't take too long).
    As you have already tried the reset, you could try connecting the laptop to an external display(TV or a monitor) if possible and see whether you can view the images as normal.
  • BATHALA_
    edited March 2021
    Options
    BATHALA_ said:
    Hi,

Thanks again for the response.

I did the power reset procedure accordingly but I didn't see my keyboard's backlight light up once, does that mean that I haven't done a proper power reset after all this time? And as you suggested, I've tried connecting my laptop to an external display, specifically a TV through an HDMI cable but unfortunately it is also showing me a black screen. Does that mean anything? I'm really worried now.

• brummyfan2
    Options
    OK, can you go to BIOS screen, move to Main tab, while you are in Main tab press F9 button and press F10 button to Save and Exit.
  • BATHALA_
    Options
    OK, can you go to BIOS screen, move to Main tab, while you are in Main tab press F9 button and press F10 button to Save and Exit.

Hi, thanks for the fast response. I've already reset my BIOS to default settings right after I did the power reset procedures earlier, it still didn't fix the problem though.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Do you have important data in your laptop? If so where you have saved them? You could try a System Restore if you have created System restore points.
  • BATHALA_
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Do you have important data in your laptop? If so where you have saved them? You could try a System Restore if you have created System restore points.
    Nothing really important and there's not that much either, I saved them right in the main drive. but as aforementioned in my main post, I already did a system restore point which was a restore point 4-5 days ago using the windows prompt screen "It looks like windows didn't load correctly".
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    BATHALA_ said:
    Nothing really important and there's not that much either, I saved them right in the main drive. but as aforementioned in my main post, I already did a system restore point which was a restore point 4-5 days ago using the windows prompt screen "It looks like windows didn't load correctly".
    If the System restore didn't rectify the problem, it could be a hardware failure but your system is new and shouldn't have a faulty screen, I think you may have to send it for a service repair, did you upgrade any hardware, like Memory or SSD?
    Anyway, I would suggest you contact Acer support centre and get it fixed under warranty, otherwise, please wait for someone else to suggest any different method to resolve the issue.
    Acer Worldwide - Select your local country or region

• BATHALA_
    Options
    BATHALA_ said:
    If the System restore didn't rectify the problem, it could be a hardware failure but your system is new and shouldn't have a faulty screen, I think you may have to send it for a service repair, did you upgrade any hardware, like Memory or SSD?
    Anyway, I would suggest you contact Acer support centre and get it fixed under warranty, otherwise, please wait for someone else to suggest any different method to resolve the issue.

Thank you very much for your help! It's fixed now, I only needed to wait it out (10 mins+) and the screen just manages to turn itself on, though at the start windows was freezing a lot and the start-up apps took minutes to start even if I had an SSD, though after a restart it's all working fine now. I'll reach out again if I encounter further problems. Thank you very much again! I appreciate it.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    BATHALA_ said:
    BATHALA_ said:

Thank you very much for your help! It's fixed now, I only needed to wait it out (10 mins+) and the screen just manages to turn itself on, though at the start windows was freezing a lot and the start-up apps took minutes to start even if I had an SSD, though after a restart it's all working fine now. I'll reach out again if I encounter further problems. Thank you very much again! I appreciate it.
    You are welcome  :)
  • Amalebowski
    Amalebowski Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    BATHALA_ said:
    BATHALA_ said:

Please help me as I am facing the same issue. It started as I guess when I my screen froze while i was swapping tabs during Rocket league gameplay. So I had to force shut down. Then this problem started and now What should I do? You said you wanted for 10mins.. what does it mean? Please elaborate and tell me if it really fixed you, dear friend. Thank you
  • Karo519
    Karo519 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I had the same problem, black screen and I coulnd't even reset it to factory settings cause it was coming back with an error, tried everything and nothing worked. Turns out that something went wrong with a windows 11 update - had to reverse the update in the diagnos window and the laptop came back alive.

• GuyPerson123
    GuyPerson123 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options

Interesting. It fixed itself? Has the problem occurred again?