Senior needs help :)

JJRCCR
JJRCCR Member Posts: 1 New User
Just purchased new Acer laptop. I need assistance in learning how to transfer docs/apps from old HP laptop to new Acer. Would also like to clean up any garbage before transferring. Is this something I can do myself or do I have to hire out? TIA

Comments

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    JJRCCR said:
    Just purchased new Acer laptop. I need assistance in learning how to transfer docs/apps from old HP laptop to new Acer. Would also like to clean up any garbage before transferring. Is this something I can do myself or do I have to hire out? TIA
    Easiest for you... pull the hard disk out of old laptop and add it as second disk on your new one. Or else get an internal hard disk to USB converter case (should be under $10) and connect the old one via USB onto your new one. This way you can slowly search the data you want and safely dispose the old one (now without hard disk). If you have more than one disk on old one drive, remove all of them before you dispose/give away.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • macdimm
    macdimm Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Hi. In the old days you could get a null modem cable through the serial ports and hook them up to each other and transfer away. Very slowly though. Perhaps Ethernet cables through your Modem? If you create a little network? Above my skill level but I believe is possible. I will be using my external USB drive to transfer stuff from my old to my new computer. That is all the skill I have left!

Good Luck!
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    JJRCCR

Get a flash drive as per requirement. with good volume of space on it. try to go to this pc on windows. go to C'drive>>users>>and copy all that is required. on your flash drive. copy to the new computer. 

What Is a Flash Drive

Windows 10 made two user folders Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)