Aspire 3 A135-42G freezes after unppluging charger

MitzL
MitzL Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
After a few months not using my Aspire 3, I turned it on and updated everything I could with Windows Update. After some charging, I unppluged and continued using my PC. It was still updating when suddenly the screen froze, followed after some time with the blue screen of death and a message saying something about "POWER STATE DRIVER", then the PC started to become hot (No, it's not dust on the fan stuff. The PC is less the an year old, barely used, and stayed in a case most of the time). After force shutting down and restarting, the screen stayed black, with the power led on, with the pc getting hot once again after a while. It never reached the Acer logo screen. Just when I plugged back on the charger and tried to force restart again, the PC completly turned on. Then every single time I took the charger off, the screen froze again. Since then, I researched and tried a lot of things, but nothing seems to work. It seems to be related to the October update, I guess. Please, somebody help me!

Here are the things I tried so far, without success:
- Tried updating the BIOS to 1.11
- Tried reinstalling Win 10 2004. It worked as far as I could see, but as soon as I updated again back to latest 20h2, the problem started again
- Tried unistalling the graphic driver and then used the "search for changes" option
- Tried disabling the grapich driver

NOTES:
*After one of these try outs (don't know precisely which), the PC stopped freezing, but if I try rebooting it, the screen stays black all the time, with power led on, and heats again, unless if it's charging and just then I try to turn on, in which case the PC turns on normally. If the screen is already black and I try to plug-in after that, the PC stays frozen.
*The same black screen happens if the PC goes idle without charging. I try to wake it up, the screen lights in black with the power led on once again, the PC heats, but that's it, I can't go back to use the PC. With the charger on, none of these problems happen.
*Just to make it clear again, there's no dust on the fan stuff. The PC is less the an year old, barely used, and stayed in a case most of the time.

Answers

• Tachi13
    Tachi13 Member Posts: 135 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hey @MitzL

The recent Windows update has bugs, 20H2 is for Windows Insiders, therefore it is known to have bugs. Please try rolling back the updates. Try Alt + F10 on boot, then click on troubleshoot>>Advanced options>> restore or rollback updates. 

Please click on "Yes" if you find this answer helpful. :):)
    Please click on "Yes" if you find this answer helpful. :):)
  • MitzL
    Hello, @Tachi13! I'll give it a try, but why the hell am I able to update to 20H2 if it's for Insiders? I mean, it normally appears on my Windows Update. Actually, in one of my shots trying to fix this, I guess I didn't even update to 20H2 and the problem still happened after installing the latest updates to 2004.  :'(
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    MitzL said:
    Hello, @Tachi13! I'll give it a try, but why the hell am I able to update to 20H2 if it's for Insiders? I mean, it normally appears on my Windows Update. Actually, in one of my shots trying to fix this, I guess I didn't even update to 20H2 and the problem still happened after installing the latest updates to 2004.  :'(
    try a factory reset if its long times issue.
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • MitzL
    @Tachi13, the problem still happens even after doing what you said, and even after going back to Win 10 2004
    @christy1, factory reset is the thing I did the most, but no success
    Thank you guys anyway
  • christy1
    edited February 2021
    MitzL said:
    @Tachi13, the problem still happens even after doing what you said, and even after going back to Win 10 2004
    @christy1, factory reset is the thing I did the most, but no success
    Thank you guys anyway
    Am sorry for the issue. Try expanding the virtual memory. If even after the reset it happens then contact acer. 
    https://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
  • Teksal
    Teksal Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Hi,
    I have the same laptop and actually started a topic several months ago similar to what you experience:
    Just a few days ago I think I solved my problem (not sure, still observing) by installing AMD Chipset Software version 2.13.27.501 from AMD's support page.
    Normally, I never had to bother with such driver installation and Windows Update would handle it automatically, but I think something broke after upgrading BIOS to higher than 1.09 and this chipset update is not triggering from Microsoft.

• christy1
    Teksal said:
    Hi,
    I have the same laptop and actually started a topic several months ago similar to what you experience:
    Just a few days ago I think I solved my problem (not sure, still observing) by installing AMD Chipset Software version 2.13.27.501 from AMD's support page.
    Normally, I never had to bother with such driver installation and Windows Update would handle it automatically, but I think something broke after upgrading BIOS to higher than 1.09 and this chipset update is not triggering from Microsoft.

wow thats nice it got fixed. 
  • Fly369
    Fly369 Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
    christy1 said: Teksal said: Hi,I have the same laptop and actually started a topic several months ago similar to what you experience:https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/621158/a315-42g-fast-boot-not-working-anymoreJust a few days ago I think I solved my problem (not sure, still observing) by installing AMD Chipset Software version 2.13.27.501 from AMD's support page.Normally, I never had to bother with such driver installation and Windows Update would handle it automatically, but I think something broke after upgrading BIOS to higher than 1.09 and this chipset update is not triggering from Microsoft.

wow thats nice it got fixed. 
    WERE YOU SOLVED THE PROBLEM?
This discussion has been closed.