A315-42g: Fast Boot not working anymore

Options
Teksal
Teksal Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited October 2023 in Aspire Laptops
Hi,
I have Aspire A315-42g with Windows 10 Pro x64, upgraded Bios to version 1.10. It used to boot in less than 10 seconds, now it is taking more than 90 seconds to start up. I'm not sure if Bios upgrade or some Windows update caused this, but as you know we can't downgrade Bios to test this.
In Bios "Fast Boot" is enabled.
In windows settings > power options > system settings "Turn on fast startup" is enabled.
What's causing this problem? How can I fix it?

Best Answer

• Teksal
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I started this topic months ago. I've tried many things in this period, some worked for a few days then the problem reappeared, only one thing seems to solve this issue for me: reverting to Windows 10, 1909 build.
    Also, do not try to install graphics and/or chipset drivers from AMD, they break things and eventually make the laptop unusable ending with frequent BSODs.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,563 Trailblazer
    Options
    Shut the machine down normally. Remove charger. Press and hold a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole on the bottom for about 30 seconds. Then plug the charger back in. Turn the machine back on. Check that fast startup is still enabled. Then shut the machine down normally again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Teksal
    Options
    Just answering my topic in case anyone needs to know:
    Resetting the PC seems to have resolved the issue (Settings->Update&Security->Recovery->Reset...)
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks for reporting back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Teksal
    Options
    Hi,
    After a couple days I reset my notebook, this problem surfaced again. I also tried the battery reset advice, it did not help.
    I bought this notebook brand new and is less than one year old, so I'm not yet inclined to suspect the battery or SSD. The 20H2 Windows update might be the problem.
  • JackE
    Options
    What you're probably seeing is an errant Win10 update causing these issues. When you re-set the laptop, did you remember to enable System Protection in Control Panel's restore point application so that you can identify which update is causing the problem??? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Teksal
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I started this topic months ago. I've tried many things in this period, some worked for a few days then the problem reappeared, only one thing seems to solve this issue for me: reverting to Windows 10, 1909 build.
    Also, do not try to install graphics and/or chipset drivers from AMD, they break things and eventually make the laptop unusable ending with frequent BSODs.
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks for reporting back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Teksal
    Options
    Hello, it's me again
    Unfortunately I could not stay in 1909 build because Windows Update started bothering me about its end-of-life in 2 months... so, I had to upgrade to 20H2 again. Fortunately I'm not having the slow boot problem now and things seem to wotk OK, but now Windows Update offers the following updates to me and I'm not sure if I should install them (they're not automatically installed, it expects me to click Install Now).
    How should I proceed at this point? I don't want that problem back.

• JackE
    Options
    If you have no issues, simply stay on the current version till it's no longer supported. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Teksal
    Options
    Teksal said:
    Hello, it's me again
    Unfortunately I could not stay in 1909 build because Windows Update started bothering me about its end-of-life in 2 months... so, I had to upgrade to 20H2 again. Fortunately I'm not having the slow boot problem now and things seem to wotk OK, but now Windows Update offers the following updates to me and I'm not sure if I should install them (they're not automatically installed, it expects me to click Install Now).
    How should I proceed at this point? I don't want that problem back.

Well, I've installed these updates weekend. Then I got a BSOD of Thread_stuck_in_device driver, but it only happned once. Things look normal so far, and I'm not having slow boot issue. Now I wonder why I was having slow boot before... anyway, I hate how Windows 10 is developed, it's not a product, we're the product, we're just lab rats for Microsoft's cause :/
  • JackE
    Options
    Agreed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.