Top part of the laptop is falling off. Aspire 5 A515-43-R19L,

Options
Lolo2259
Lolo2259 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2021 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks
Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop, 15.6 inches Full HD IPS Display, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U, Vega 3 Graphics, 4GB DDR4, 128GB SSD, Windows 10 in S Mode, A515-43-R19L, 
I purchased this Acer Laptop for my son to take to college on 9/9/2019 and he messaged me that the whole top of the laptop is falling off. He did not drop it and he does not carry it around. It stays in his dorm room since most of his classes are online and he doesn't need it for his 1 in person class. Anyone else have this issue? Would this be covered under the warranty? 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Sometimes, usually when it's been opened and closed with one hand often, the little bit of side torque on the hinges cause the left hinge to tighten and the right to loosen. When that left hinge gets tight enough it can break loose from it's mounts, which pries the case apart on that side. I don't know if they'll cover it under warranty, that depends on the warranty specifics for each country. Depending on how bad it has gotten the fix might be a replacement of the case or repair of the mounts. Either way it's a good idea to loosen the bolt that hold the hinge together and set it in place with something like Loctite. If it turns out you are out of warranty or your warranty doesn't cover the repair you should be able to use an epoxy or something like JB Weld to rebuild the broken screw mounts.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.