I would like to upgrade my system ram etc - can you advise what is possible ? Aspire T3-710

Options
BillHobbs
BillHobbs Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Aspire T3-710
i7-6700 @ 3.40GHZ 3.41 GHZ4
Ram: 12.0GB
64-bit, x64-bit processor
serial number DTB1HAA008

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @BillHobbs
    You may want to visit this site:
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/
    Using your PC to run a test, and see what kind of hardware that can be used for upgrade from that site.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    You are maxed with the CPU, there is room to improve the ram, up to 32GB using two 16GB sticks. Does your system have an SSD or just a HDD? Your motherboard has an M.2 slot that you can use for a SATA 3.0 SSD and moving the boot and OS to that would be a significant improvement.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BillHobbs
    BillHobbs Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    Believe it is just a HDD - 2 questions 1) is it fairly easy to install a SSD and move over the Boot and OS ? and 2) what kind of ram would I purhase ?  - Appreciate the time and help
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @BillHobbs
    You may want to Create a System Image from Win 10. After installing the SSD, restore the system image to this new SSD, then you should see a significant improve in performance. 
    Can you see the RAM available from userbenchmark.com?
    Personally, I do not want to max out my PC's memory. My memory usage never exceed 7 GB, having 16 GB now is more than enough.
    From Task Manager of Win 10, open the Performance tab and you can see the current memory usage. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Many of the SSDs come with cloning software and there are lots of cloning apps that are free as well. That's often easier than doing a backup/restore especially if you don't have a backup drive already. The T3-710 uses 1600 MT/s DDR3L memory, the L is important since it's lower voltage than just plain DDR3.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.