Aspire XC-780 (2016) Upgrades?

Options
SofKR
SofKR Member Posts: 7 New User
Hi all,

I’ve had my acer since 2016 and it’s hardrive is now getting very slow and hard to boot things. I’m looking to switch to a SSD from my 1TB hardrive. Does anyone know what ones are eligible?

My other issue is that not too long ago I installed a MSI NIVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650 low profile 4GB graphics card. Now my computer constantly switches between its inbuilt one and my new one which is rather annoying. I’ve tried to disable the inbuilt graphics but it’s really not worked. Any tips? 

Thanks in advance! 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Your Aspire XC-780 has a single M.2 slot on the motherboard, suitable for an M.2 SATA SSD. Stay away from the NVMe drives, your slot doesn't support them. That upgrade will be a huge improvement. The GPU thing sounds like the card isn't making good contact with the slot... Try pulling it and blowing everything out before reinstalling. The BIOS disables the onboard video when it see a functional GPU in the slot, so yours is only being intermittently seen.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Your Aspire XC-780 has a single M.2 slot on the motherboard, suitable for an M.2 SATA SSD. Stay away from the NVMe drives, your slot doesn't support them. That upgrade will be a huge improvement. The GPU thing sounds like the card isn't making good contact with the slot... Try pulling it and blowing everything out before reinstalling. The BIOS disables the onboard video when it see a functional GPU in the slot, so yours is only being intermittently seen.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    Options
    SofKR said:
    Hi all,

I’ve had my acer since 2016 and it’s hardrive is now getting very slow and hard to boot things. I’m looking to switch to a SSD from my 1TB hardrive. Does anyone know what ones are eligible?

My other issue is that not too long ago I installed a MSI NIVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650 low profile 4GB graphics card. Now my computer constantly switches between its inbuilt one and my new one which is rather annoying. I’ve tried to disable the inbuilt graphics but it’s really not worked. Any tips? 

Thanks in advance! 

Do as billsey says and also replace your power supply to a 650W as the OEM XC-780 is only 220W and its not adequate for your MSI NIVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650 and other peripherals that you might run on this system, and which NVIDIA recommends a PS of 450W for the GF 1650 card. Just as a suggestion and if you want to upgrade your XC-780 further? Upgrade its OEM CPU i5-7400 to the i7-7700K and also upgrade your RAM to its max of 32GB with DDR4- UDIMM.

• SofKR
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    SofKR said:
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance! 

Do as billsey says and also replace your power supply to a 650W as the OEM XC-780 is only 220W and its not adequate for your MSI NIVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650 and other peripherals that you might run on this system, and which NVIDIA recommends a PS of 450W for the GF 1650 card. Just as a suggestion and if you want to upgrade your XC-780 further? Upgrade its OEM CPU i5-7400 to the i7-7700K and also upgrade your RAM to its max of 32GB with DDR4- UDIMM.

Thank you! & Yeah might look into changing power supply & CPU too - just wondering if it’s worth it all or should I just get a new PC as don’t think the PC casing is big enough for new power supply etc - 
  • StevenGen
    Options
    SofKR said:
    StevenGen said:
    SofKR said:
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance! 

Thank you! & Yeah might look into changing power supply & CPU too - just wondering if it’s worth it all or should I just get a new PC as don’t think the PC casing is big enough for new power supply etc - 
    You can get the same size ATX PS at 650W to match your OEM PS. Why buy a new computer when you have quite a good one which you can also upgrade for minimal cost but, it all depends what you want? As an upgrade is only as good as your existing hardware and buying a new computer depends on your budget and if your budget can buy a much superior computer of your needs that will be better than what you got? That is how I look at it as I've upgraded older computer and they were excellent and were about 1/10 of buying a new one and a new computer that i didn't need and/or used its capacity.   
  • SofKR
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    SofKR said:
    StevenGen said:
    SofKR said:
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance! 

You can get the same size ATX PS at 650W to match your OEM PS. Why buy a new computer when you have quite a good one which you can also upgrade for minimal cost but, it all depends what you want? As an upgrade is only as good as your existing hardware and buying a new computer depends on your budget and if your budget can buy a much superior computer of your needs that will be better than what you got? That is how I look at it as I've upgraded older computer and they were excellent and were about 1/10 of buying a new one and a new computer that i didn't need and/or used its capacity.   
    Thank you, i’ll definitely try do it I might see if a computer shop can maybe fit it all as I don’t want to really mess with stuff I haven’t done before aha . Thank you all for all the help & i’ll definitely upgrade it ☺️
  • SofKR
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    SofKR said:
    StevenGen said:
    SofKR said:
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance! 

Do you have any links for power supply’s that would be compatible? Dw if not just trying to figure which brands etc would work 
  • billsey
    Options
    You need to look for ATX Flex power supplies, not the standard ATX. They are available, though I'm not sure if I've seen them much over 500W. Watch out for the server versions, they typically don't have the wiring for a consumer machine.
  • SofKR
    Options
    billsey said:
    You need to look for ATX Flex power supplies, not the standard ATX. They are available, though I'm not sure if I've seen them much over 500W. Watch out for the server versions, they typically don't have the wiring for a consumer machine.
    Thanks, i’m not sure if my acer can acc take any power upgrades something to do with the psiu or something like that. i’ve contacted acer about it but yeah thank you tho 
  • billsey
    Options
    There are lots of choices in Flex supplies, though the bulk of them are the same 220W they do make larger.
  • martcole
    martcole Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Could I impose of the apparent experts on this thread maybe to confirm what I understand, though a year late...

I have an XC-780 in the UK with an i5-6400 2.7Ghz, 5 years old and getting a little slow.

Do I get it that I could 'just', in order of improvement value.  Per @StevenGen

1) Plug in an i7-7700 as it will just fit and work on my old board?  Do I assume that an i7-6700 will just be a little slower, I am looking at 2nd hand as new is £350 and I might as well start anew.

2) upgrade memory with max 32GB at DDR4-2133MHz (PC4-17000) 1.2V 288-pin DIMM

3) after that I see improved Graphics card and power supply, but I don't game, just browse and simple financial stuff.

Many thanks, if I am not too far and too late!!

• billsey
    edited June 2022
    Options
    No, by far the first step is to replace the HDD with a SSD. Next is memory if you see memory usage under your most active conditions rising higher than around 75% usage. The i7-7700 will not only likely not work with your motherboard, it would only give a very slight increase in performance. GPU doesn't help if you aren't doing graphics intensive tasks.
    What specs does your system have right now? Drive type and size, memory installed and speed, BIOS version, etc.?