Acer Aspire E1-571G upgrade

Options
LucaM_73
LucaM_73 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello,
I've an old E1 i3 core model with a Windows 10 o.s. It has become very slow both during power on and opening apps. I would try to upgrade it with an SSD and double the current 4GB RAM. My question is if the money that I would invest for the SSD and RAM can bring to a realistic improvement in the Speed performances or the motherboard,  the fan, which seems to be always on, or others factors could be a bottleneck.
Thanks.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited November 2020
    Options
    LucaM_73 said:
    Hello,
    I've an old E1 i3 core model with a Windows 10 o.s. It has become very slow both during power on and opening apps. I would try to upgrade it with an SSD and double the current 4GB RAM. My question is if the money that I would invest for the SSD and RAM can bring to a realistic improvement in the Speed performances or the motherboard,  the fan, which seems to be always on, or others factors could be a bottleneck.
    Thanks.

This is just my option as I've done this many times and to an Aspire V3-571G which really is the same laptop as the Aspire E1-571G, my answer to you is “Yes” as your Aspire E1-571G can be upgraded not only with a 2.5” SATA 6GB/sec SSD and 4GB extra RAM (to match your OEM RAM) but I’ve also put 2x 4GB of DDR3L-14900MHz speed RAM and it worked perfectly. You can also upgrade its Socket G2 OEM CPU i3-3110M that is a 2 core/4 threads/2.4 GHz/512KB to 3MB cache and 35W TDP which is a pretty low spec CPU, to the higher spec i7-3632QM- 4 core/8 threads/2.6 GHz to 3.6 GHz/1MB to 6MB cache and 45W TDP (I wouldn’t go higher spec CPU than this) as just upgrading the CPU will give you 140% better relative performance to your OEM i3 CPU. I’ve done this to many of the older Aspires and for the minimal cost they are a very good platform that compares with many ‘if not better’ than the current $500+ platforms on the market today. Yes they are not a gaming platform for today’s games with its NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M graphics but, the Aspire E1-571G can still handle some intricate graphics for your minimal investment and will handle the latest Win-10 platform excellently, it’s up to you and your budget? Good luck.

Btw and some further advice, as I’ve done this on my Aspire V3-571G (that came OEM with an MBR/Legacy BIOS) which uses the same BIOS as your Aspire E1-571G and has the exact bios versions numbers, date and updates as yours and is the same BIOS. The Aspire E1-571G comes OEM with an MBR/Legacy BIOS and Acer’s last MBR/Legacy BIOS update is the version 1.13 dated 2012/10/22 for the MBR/Legacy BIOS.

Some Aspire E1-571G came with the latter GPT/UEFI BIOS that Acer has updates and the last update is version 2.21 dated 2014/01/27 which is their last GPT/UEFI BIOS update. Which is the exact BIOS version and date that I have running on my Aspire V3-571G. In saying this there is a way of modding your BIOS from MBR/Legacy BIOS to GPT/UEFI BIOS on your Aspire E1-571G but this forum prohibits any BIOS modding and/or details on BIOS, so I can’t detail anything to you.  Please note that this is just a suggestion but “BE CAREFUL” and if ever you want to do this, get an experienced technician that has experience in BIOS modding to do this for your Aspire E1-571G "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS YOURSELF" as "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution" as you could brick your laptop!  

• LucaM_73
    LucaM_73 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your detailed and clear answer. What I would like to do exactly is to replace the original 500GB HD with an equivalent size SSD, insert another 4GB RAM block to double It and insert the original HD in the caddy adapter instead of the DVD Reader. This motherboard replacement Is a very good idea but I saw that the cost for the modification Will increase a lot. I would like to do It by myself because I saw some videos and don't spend so much. Even with the upgrade above described, do you think I'll have a good % of improvement? Is It possible to estimate It according your experience?
    Thanks again