2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    You must format the card to the EXT4 file system. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sharduul
    sharduul Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    I've allocated 512MB for swap area, 20GB as EXT4 / , and the rest as EXT4 /home. Then I received the error : "no efi system partition was found", so I've allocated another 256 MB as EFI. After that, I ran the installation, but I got the same black screen after restarting.
  • JackE
    edited October 2020
    Is there a default partitioning option?  I'm not sure your partitioning is correct. Your SSD does not have an internal cache so a swap partition may not be recommended. I suggest EXT4 reformatting the whole card except for the FAT32 256MB ESP.   Then run the installation again allowing it to choose the recommended partitioning.  Jack E/NJ

PS: Also disable fast boot in BIOS Main tab

Jack E/NJ

• sharduul
    I tried what you've suggested but I get the "No EFI System partition was found". I can continue but it isn't recommended. The recommended partitioning is the one I ran almost everytime I tried to install Ubuntu, but it never worked.
  • JackE
    >>>I suggest EXT4 reformatting the whole card except for the FAT32 256MB ESP.  >>>

Yes, but did you actually create the 256MB FAT32 partition? The other partition would be EXT4.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sharduul
    Yes, I did exactly what you said.
  • JackE
    >>>. I can continue but it isn't recommended.>>>

What did you mean by this? Isn't recommended by who? You? Or some error message you get? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sharduul
    Yes, is an error message I get. If I continue I get another warning message(which I think it's the last).
    So I should try to install with the partitioning you said and press "continue" on the warning messages I get ?
  • JackE
    >>>So I should try to install with the partitioning you said and press "continue" on the warning messages I get ? >>>

Yes, you can always reformat the card again. Then we can try some other options. The ubuntu forums suggest that a few simple methods may fix the problem
    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sharduul
    I tried today again to install Ubuntu and do what you've asked, but I've downloaded the new 20.10 version. I pressed "Try Ubuntu", it worked, so then I tried to install it(in the partition menu I've selected "Erase disk and reinstall Ubuntu", I restarted the laptop and surprisingly it worked. Now I'm using it without any problem. I installed it like I did almost everytime, and I don't think that I did something special before the installation that changed the process. That's strange. But anyways, I'm happy that it works now. Thank you for all the support and interventions, and apologies for the insistence. Have a good day !
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Congrats on your hard-won success!!    :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ