Can't enter into bios using external monitor

bestman
bestman Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

My Acer Aspire V3-571G has broken screen. I am using my laptop with an external monitor.

I just wanted to upgrade my SSD so I need to enter BIOS while displaying on my external monitor. Is there any way that I can enter into the BIOS from the external monitor?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    There are several ways to try. Try the easiest first. Turn the machine on and immediately start tapping the F2 key for about 10 seconds. Then press the FN+F5 to try to toggle the external screen. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bestman

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    There are several ways to try. Try the easiest first. Turn the machine on and immediately start tapping the F2 key for about 10 seconds. Then press the FN+F5 to try to toggle the external screen. Jack E/NJ
    I tried this method but still doesn't work. Can you help me with other methods. Thank you!
  • JackE
    Do you have a frig magnet strip? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bestman

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Do you have a frig magnet strip? Jack E/NJ
    No I don't. 
  • JackE
    With the machine turned off, place a piece of foam or wad of paper on the F2 key so that it's depressed by the broken screen when you close the lid. Then turn the machine on and see if the external screen can display the BIOS menu with the lid closed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bestman

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    With the machine turned off, place a piece of foam or wad of paper on the F2 key so that it's depressed by the broken screen when you close the lid. Then turn the machine on and see if the external screen can display the BIOS menu with the lid closed. Jack E/NJ
    I did everything step by step but it didn't work. (I tried both VGA and HDIM)
  • JackE
    Then they shouldn't have booted into Windows either.  Is this correct? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bestman

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Then they shouldn't have booted into Windows either.  Is this correct? Jack E/NJ
    Yes, When I tried to enter BIOS by the way of "UEFI Firmware Settings" It's not working either. 
  • JackE
    No. That's not what I meant. When you had the lid closed and the paperwad on F2, did it or did it not boot to Windows anyway when you turned it on? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bestman

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    No. That's not what I meant. When you had the lid closed and the paperwad on F2, did it or did it not boot to Windows anyway when you turned it on? Jack E/NJ
    No, It didn't booted into Windows. 
  • JackE
    >>>When I tried to enter BIOS by the way of "UEFI Firmware Settings" It's not working either.  >>>

OK. Try this again BUT with the lid closed before you hit the mouse button start the process. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bestman

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>When I tried to enter BIOS by the way of "UEFI Firmware Settings" It's not working either.  >>>

OK. Try this again BUT with the lid closed before you hit the mouse button start the process. Jack E/NJ
    I tried but still doesn't work. Is there any other ways?
  • JackE
    What was the original ACER factory installed Windows version? Win7 or Win8? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Is the bios image displayed on the external monitor, when you disconnect the edp cable from the main board?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • bestman

Tinkerer

I found the way: I put a big magnet on power button. Now I can see the BIOS.  :3
  • JackE
    Good for you. Congrats. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Aka3200
    Aka3200 Member Posts: 1 New User
    bestman said:
    I found the way: I put a big magnet on power button. Now I can see the BIOS.  :3
    Please help me. I can't see bios on external monitor too. Sama results as you. How did put magnet power button? And why?