acer nitro 5 An515-54-58 YY Install M.2 as main boot drive?

Options
cOREY_DUDE
cOREY_DUDE Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 2023 in Nitro Gaming
I've got an acer nitro 5 An515-54-58 YY
I bought a  Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT1000P1SSD8
According to the crucial compatibility tool it should be compatible with this laptop. I've been trying to install windows onto it and run it as my main boot drive for the past week. I've seen others with similar issues but nothing that has helped me resolve my problem. Contacted acer support and eventually got someone who could help me with some troubleshooting but alas there was nothing I hadn't already tried. The conversation ended with "unfortunately it doesn't appear to be possible to what you are looking to do untill there is a new version of the bios available" 

Windows sees my new drive and it appears to function fine as I can transfer files and was even able to clone my HDD to the SSD but cannot boot from it.
Under the main tab in the BIOS it lists the drive with SN 
Under boot priority order: I see only Windows boot manager (I also cannot boot from USB)
for boot mode my only option is {UEFI} no legacy option is available that I can see. 

I have tried adding security pin to see if that adds additional options but there doesn't appear to be any.
I was able to reinstall windows 10 on HDD from desktop and while it still recognizes the SSD I still cannot seem to boot from it. 
I have tried both slots with neither behaving differently
I have updated bios from v1.01 to 1.02 then to 1.05 with no change

Am I missing something or is there no way to do this? (as the tech suspected)
[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• WestSide
    WestSide Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Same issue for me ACER AN515-54-58YY with WD-Black sn750 500gb NVMe SSD

Any luck since initial post?
  • Drainblazor46
    Drainblazor46 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I'm trying to do the same with ACER AN515-54-58YY with WD-Black sn750 1tb NVME SSD. 
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    Is the SATA operation mode set to AHCI?
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• ONE_FINGER_MAN
    ONE_FINGER_MAN Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

hello i will help with you or any one else that need to know this for An515-54-58 i ran in the same issue and latter on after 5 hrs i have made progress with installing and booting up in to windows with usb windows 11 i have read on here where everyone was having issue with there pcie ssd not showing up...what you will need to do is boot into the bios witch is f2 and at the main screen you can see your ssd but what you will not see in the next screen is the main what you want to do is enable the vmd controller witch is not there by default you have to windows+r to enable this what you are going to do is disable that and save to bios! replace the new pcie and after you have add that you will need the usb with windows 11 or 10 and at the boot screen hold f12 and boot with usb and you should see the ssd there!