Ubuntu won't neither suspends, shutdown nor reboot

Options
st_4rb00y
st_4rb00y Member Posts: 29 Troubleshooter
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, after a few years running a dual-boot system on Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 (AMD Ryzen) suddenly I can't neither suspends, turn off nor reboot the system while I'm on Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS.
If you need it:

SO: Dual-boot Windows 10/Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U
Graphics Card: Radeon RX 560X

Any suggestion?, Is there a 100% functional linux distro on Acer Nitro 5?
Thanks in advance

Best Answer

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Try disabling fastboot in the bios. Then, access the windows power options and disable fast startup and check if the problem still occurs.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • st_4rb00y
    Options
    Try disabling fastboot in the bios. Then, access the windows power options and disable fast startup and check if the problem still occurs.
    Dear egydiocoelho, it did not work. It should be noted that I have problems on Ubuntu, not Windows, so disabling fast startup apparently did nothing
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,767 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • st_4rb00y
    Options
    Hi egydiocoelho, back then i used to boot ubuntu with the commands:

acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2 i8042.reset i8042.nomux i8042.nopnp i8042.noloop

but since my system doesn't turn off, i deleted everything (which is better because now i can adjust my brightness from the keyboard) sadly i can't turn it off neither
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    we better just continue on that topic.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    Which kernel is in use?
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• st_4rb00y
    Options
    batmalin said:
    Which kernel is in use?
    5.3.0-53-generic
  • batmalin
    Options
    Could you post the dmesg output?

• st_4rb00y
    Options
    batmalin said:
    Could you post the dmesg output?
    It's a lot of text, do you need it all of it?
  • batmalin
    Options
    You can attach it as a file either paste it in a text editor or look in the /var/log/dmesg

• st_4rb00y
    Options
    Here is it, thanks
  • batmalin
    Options
    Kernel boots just normal, mine looks similar, what happens when you try to reboot? 

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I am not a Linux expert, even though Ubuntu is installed on my computer. However, is it likely that fastboot and fast startup in windows power options may be causing this problem?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• st_4rb00y
    Options
    batmalin said:
    Kernel boots just normal, mine looks similar, what happens when you try to reboot? 
    It shows ubuntu's logo, then get stuck with a black screen

I am not a Linux expert, even though Ubuntu is installed on my computer. However, is it likely that fastboot and fast startup in windows power options may be causing this problem?
    I tried turning both options off but that didn't work
  • st_4rb00y
    edited June 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    I updated kernel to 5.3.0-59-generic as this site shows (I went for the option A) https://phoenixnap.com/kb/how-to-update-kernel-ubuntu and after reboot via REISUB the problem was gone. Thanks a lot to everybody.
  • batmalin
    Options
    I was about to suggest that but you have figured it out by yourself. Glad that your issue is solved. Have fun!