Nitro 5 AN515-42-R9G7 put to hibernate/suspend/sleep to RAM using Kubuntu 18.04.1 doesn't wake up.

Options
zypaza
zypaza Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I bought a new computer this day, October 22nd 2018, model Nitro 5 AN515-42-R9G7. After hours of struggle to learn how to install Ubuntu, I have used it for more several hours and when I decided to put it to sleep, which according to Kubuntu it is suspend to RAM memory, it wouldn't wake up back after pressing the power button, and worst, before putting it to sleep the battery was around 75%, and when I had to force it to turn off and turn on again, it was 32%.

Any ideas? I don't believe it was due to having Linux installed.

Best Answer

• zypaza

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

My computer once again had problems. This time it was with the Wi-Fi and the connection simply having no data after 5 minutes connected, and also the trackpad that suddenly stopped working. I checked the BIOS and it was not deactivated. It simply stopped.

So, I went back to the store and this time I brought a Dell computer with me. Acer seems to have too much issues with Linux which for me makes an useless brand of computers.

I thank you for your replies.

Answers

• Herman_Sol
    Herman_Sol Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    what argument did you use to make Ubuntu launch? The only way I got 18.04.1 to boot was to use pci=noacpi which stands for no Advanced Configuration and Power Interface which might be the reason why sleep doesn't work properly, it seems their BIOS is bugged since people report problems cause by battery issues, like random throttling. In arch linux I didn't need to alter any boot arguments (kernel 4.18.9) and the sleep works correctly (tested today), I tested Ubuntu 18.10 (kernel 4.18) but that also required me to disable acpi and sleep doesn't seem to work correctly either (it doesn't turn off the keyboard when I close the lid)
  • zypaza

Tinkerer

edited October 2018
    Options
    what argument did you use to make Ubuntu launch? The only way I got 18.04.1 to boot was to use pci=noacpi which stands for no Advanced Configuration and Power Interface which might be the reason why sleep doesn't work properly, it seems their BIOS is bugged since people report problems cause by battery issues, like random throttling. In arch linux I didn't need to alter any boot arguments (kernel 4.18.9) and the sleep works correctly (tested today), I tested Ubuntu 18.10 (kernel 4.18) but that also required me to disable acpi and sleep doesn't seem to work correctly either (it doesn't turn off the keyboard when I close the lid)
    I've used "noacpi noapic". Using otherwise didn't work. So you think this could be the reason? Do you have an idea how to improve it?

When I closed the lid and also selected the suspension for a second time, it worked. But I isn't wait one minute so I guess I can't consider it.

Anyways, interesting. The solution to make it work is what might cause this issue.
  • zypaza

Tinkerer

Options
    @Herman_Sol, just for an update, I've re-installed the system without the "noacpi" parameter, I figured out I can do so, but the issue remained.
  • Herman_Sol
    Options
    @zypaza Perhaps it could be the ubuntu power manager, I am not sure if theirs is different form Arch, you could try tinkering it or replace it with other managers. In the end there are two possibilities 1) A bug got patched in kernel 4.18.9; 2) The BIOS is bugged; or which is most likely the case 3) both 1 and 2. I am sorry I can't be of more help, I just moved on to Arch (installed it on a 32gig USB 3.0 thumb, drive runs great, learned a bunch about linux and I didn't have to mess with any the SSD partitions) while Ubuntu gets a fix or the bios does. Acer isn't giving us any feedback about problems nor we have anywhere to contact them where they won't think we didn't try all the fixes that are just a couple of google searches away.

If you really need Ubuntu you could perhaps try 18.10 and try to see if you can run it stable with kernel 4.18.9. As a tip on 18.10 tty1 sometimes doesnt load the GDM (login screen), you can switch back and forth between tty2 tty3 and tty1 and at some point the GDM will launch, else you could try just loging in into tty2 and run startx (you will load the default gnome environment), after which if you log out and go to tty1 it should load the ubuntu login screen, another fix could be to perhaps just disable gdm with systemctl and login the old way through tty1.
  • zypaza

Tinkerer

Options

Do not need to apologize for anything, my friend.

I have installed the latest version available for the Linux kernel, 4.19, but the problem persists. If I suspend and wait for 5 minutes, it will not wake up. I have heard about having the possibility of being the BIOS. Mine is version 1.06, and the latest version is 1.08 but I am afraid of updating it because I know it might really mess things up. Have you heard anything about this BIOS for my machine having any issues?

I'm not sure if it coud be Ubuntu itself. I've used this same OS on my previous computer and it was normal. I have also known about more people having this issue, including a friend of mine with a Dell computer. He also cannot put his computer to sleep or else it will not wake up. Just as mine, his screen will remain black, but nothing to be seen.
  • Herman_Sol
    Options
    @zypaza Oh yes, do update the bios, mine is at 1.09, it was when I was on 1.06 that my laptop crashed randomly (while using windows) and couldn't even do a windows restore properly so I had to reinstall windows fresh. Acer lists BIOS 1.08 as the latest, however if you manually update the bios through windows device manager you can actually get 1.09, I would suggest to first test 1.08 though and if that doesn't work try 1.09. If you test windows with your current BIOS you will eventually notice random performance drops (cpu would throttle to 0.36GHz on windows) specially when pluging and unpluging the laptop, this was mostly fixed on 1.08+, so the patch might have been related to power battery/power consumption/supply/management, but that is only my theory. Give the BIOS update a try and if that doesn't work with the 4.19 kernel then changing kubuntu power managers could be another way to go. if you go to the Arch wiki and look for the power management section you might find a hint on how power in management works: Power management with systemd > Power managers 
  • zypaza

Tinkerer

Options
    @Herman_Sol,

This is interesting, thank you for this, I will try it soon. In fact, I went to the store where I purchased the computer and I requested a replacement, but due to another problem I had. The computer froze 3 times in less than one hour, one time being only 5 minutes after the previous freezing. Unacceptable. The freezings were not due to any heavy operation because I was watching the memory usage and it barely reached 4.3 of 6.9 of the RAM available. Also, a freeze caused by heavy operations would make the computer lag at first, such as the cursor of the mouse slowly moving around, but in this case, it froze completely from one moment to another, usually when still typing or changing screens like going to the browser and opening a tab. It can not be right. Interesting fact, I was lucky because the employees said changing the operating system violates the warranty, but the one who sold us did not say anything about it, even after hearing me saying I intended to install Linux right away. Another lucky shot was me having a valid Windows 10 activation key, which they will use when recovering the Windows that came with the computer before handing me the new computer. I hope I was just unlucky because they also said Linux might not be compatible with this machine, which personally I find it an absurd.

Back to the subject of the thread, you mentioned about updating the BIOS using a program that's only available for Windows, am I right? So I suppose I should do it before anything else after finishing the Windows installation? What about what they said about Linux not being compatible with the computer, is it really a stupid thing to say or is there the possibility? And what about the problems I faced before, could it be a bad luck only or really an issue due to what I've done to initiate the installation?

• Herman_Sol
    Options
    zypaza yeah after the you get windows back you would want to upgrade the BIOS via acer download page and then to 1.09 through windows devices manager, expand the firmware list and right click BIOS or whatever is in there and to check for update, windows should proceed to update to 1.09. There are very small chances that the laptop is incompatible with linux, and if it is, it might be because of a buggy BIOS or a piece hardware that is not supported by the kernel all which can be addressed via software, although there are small chances that kernel contributors might want to look into this specific problems, however since I notice that even windows has performance hicups it might all really be the BIOS.

Also contact acer for an e-Recovery media, it is free, but they only give you one free after that you can buy it from them for 50$ or so, anyhow that should restore the laptop to default, windows and all (except BIOS that will remain unchanged). Although I must warn it took me 4 chats with acer support, an angry review and 1 month until they sent the usb since they were constantly "out of stock".

Also think it doesn't void warranty if you install linux alongside windows, but if you fully replace windows then yeah that might void it, although now mirosoft remembers which computers have a license, apparently they make an unique identifier of the computer combining data from the hardware components so if you reinstall windows while connected to the internet it should get activated automatically. I did a fresh install of windows after my laptop died, using a live usb with windows donwloaded from their website (any one can download it, no info needed) and it didn't ask me for activation because it knew the computer has license, although I think there are limits to the amount of reactivation and hardware changes (so people don't slowly change one computer into a whole different computer by changing one component at a time). So you should be able to save you activation code.
  • zypaza

Tinkerer

Options
    @Herman_Sol

I have the new computer and I updated the BIOS to 1.08 instead. I am wondering about the "noapic" parameter and the problem the previous computer had, the 3 freezing in one hour. Do you think it was related, or could it have been just bad luck with the machine itself, or perhaps the BIOS?

By the way, the comments have gotten away from the subject of the thread. When I was in the store, they had the computer sleeping for around 5 hours and it actually woke without any problems, but it was Windows. I hadn't tested if the previous machine works with Windows and it was an issue with Linux only due to these parameters I needed to put before booting. I am not sure if there is a solution for this if it happens again with Ubuntu.
  • Herman_Sol
    Options
    It was most likely the BIOS 1.06, freezes like that happened to me while on windows (I didn't get to test ubuntu long enough to experience freezes before the laptop died while using windows 10). So you should be freeze free now, fingers crossed for Acer updating the BIOS so that we can load Ubuntu without special parameter.
  • zypaza

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

My computer once again had problems. This time it was with the Wi-Fi and the connection simply having no data after 5 minutes connected, and also the trackpad that suddenly stopped working. I checked the BIOS and it was not deactivated. It simply stopped.

So, I went back to the store and this time I brought a Dell computer with me. Acer seems to have too much issues with Linux which for me makes an useless brand of computers.

I thank you for your replies.