Cannot enter bios - stuck on Acer logo

Michael123
Michael123 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello,
Just bought brand new Acer Swift 3 sf314-42-r2gl.
Im not a fan of Windows so I installed Linux. To do that secure boot needed to be disabled(I also disabled fastboot and set supervisor password) . Everything went fine, Linux was installed althoght needed kernel update to function properly, with one exception, I can't suspend laptop for some reason.

Bigger problem is bios - each time I reboot computer and press F2 before booting, laptop is stuck on Acer logo. Nothing happens, can't do anything. Last thing I did in bios was disabling fastboot. 
I can boot Windows, I can boot Linux by choosing F12 bootable device but bios is inaccessible. 
It's brand new laptop so I'm a bit hesitant to try to update bios or open the computer since I still can return it.
Is there any way to solve it? 

Best Answer

• Michael123
    Answer ✓
    Okay I actually managed to enter BIOS. The solution was to remove Linux partitions from disk, making sure that everything is the same as prior to Linux installation. 
    So if anyone face similiar issue a advice against partitioning disk with different file systems. Better option would be to insert another SSD for it.
    Anyway, I'm returning the laptop because of the multi boot issues as well as inability to put it to sleep.
    Shame because the laptop is nicely build and cheap given the really great performance. 

Answers

• Michael123
    Answer ✓
    Okay I actually managed to enter BIOS. The solution was to remove Linux partitions from disk, making sure that everything is the same as prior to Linux installation. 
    So if anyone face similiar issue a advice against partitioning disk with different file systems. Better option would be to insert another SSD for it.
    Anyway, I'm returning the laptop because of the multi boot issues as well as inability to put it to sleep.
    Shame because the laptop is nicely build and cheap given the really great performance. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Yeah, the way the Linux install sets up grub you are not given enough time to get the keypress to enter BIOS. There is likely a way to reconfigure it to give a couple of seconds or more and then it'd work like we'd like. I don't know enough about the grub parameters off hand to tell you how to do it though. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.