The nuts and bolts behind Fn-F6Aspire 5740G and a Travelmate B113)

Options
rarva
rarva Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2022 in Aspire Laptops
I have two older Acer laptops (an Aspire 5740G and a Travelmate B113) and they both have the ability to turn off the screen by pressing the Fn-F6 key... 

And I was wondering if anyone knew the technical details of what the Fn-F6 is actually doing in the background to achieve this?

The reason I would like to know this is so that I can try to do the same thing with other non-Acer laptops which I own, both of which don't have a handy Fn-F6 key...

From what I understand, the Fn-F6 key isn't simply doing the same thing as would happen when the screen goes off due to inactivity...

[Edited the title to add model name ]

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @rarva
    On old Acer laptops, the function keys are controlled by software "Launch manager applixation". This software is specifically designed for Acer laptops. It depends on the manufacturer's decision. They design the keyboard to send different keycodes when Fn is pressed vs when it is not.These are just design decisions based on the manufacturers, and often you can change or remap these if you want.
    There is a program called autotkey that can be used to write scripts that remap the keyboard.

Normally keys such as the function keys (F1 to F12) are doubled up with secondary functions such as volume and screen brightness controls, sleep, and various manufacturer unique functions.
    Some manufacturers have stuck to the traditional F1 to F12 functionality and require the Fn key to be pressed to access the secondary functions, while other manufacturers have these the other way round. The secondary functions are accessed without the Fn key, and that key has to be pressed to get the F1 to F12 operations.

These are design decisions. Laptops typically have fewer keys than desktops so they use the FN key. Also they have new functions like brightness and volume that are not on a standard desktop keyboard. Fitting all these requires a compromise. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!  
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • rarva
    Options
    @Sharanji thanks for the elaborate response.  I researched the Launch Manager application which you referred to and I suspect it may not be compatible with Windows 10.  According to shouldiremoveit.com, the Launch Manager executable is located at C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Launch Manager\lmconfig.exe but i cannot find this file at that location or anywhere else on my laptop.  Maybe the Fn keys are handled differently on Windows 10?
  • rarva
    Options
    Anyone else got an opinion on my original question?
  • stefixts
    stefixts Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

@rarva I've an Acer Aspire 7741G and got the same problem, I can not see the CapsLock and NumLock indicators on the display as well as can't use FN functions anylonger due to missing Launch manager which looks to be incompatible with Win10, this is simply insane!

Have u get any other solutions in the meanwhile?

Thanks,

Stefano