Chromebook R11 touchscreen stops working after 30 minutes

Options
andichromebook
andichromebook Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My daughter's touchscreen stops working after about 30 minutes of use. She has to sign out and then sign back in for it to work again. This is our second Acer R11 Chromebook (first one died after a year), and it's only a few days old. Hasn't been dropped or damaged at all.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,752 Pathfinder
    Options
    @andichromebook
    Try hard reset and check
    1. Turn off your Chromebook.
    2. Press and hold Refresh  + tap Power  for 30 sec and than turn on the chromebook and check
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • andichromebook
    Options
    She's worried it will erase her data and apps....will it? Thanks!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    It will erase any local data that hasn't been mirrored to her Google account on the cloud. Her apps should reinstall themselves when she first logs into her account.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • palmoyas
    palmoyas Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    I have two identical Acer Chromebooks (both CB5-132T) that have developed the same touchscreen issue after the last Chrome OS update.  After startup, the touchscreen works fine for several minutes (amount of time seems to vary, but around 5-10 minutes or so), but then it completely stops working.  All other functions of the Chromebook are fine, including built in touchpad.  A restart fixes it for another 5-10 minutes.

I tried a powerwash and it did not fix the issue.  Since this is affecting two separate Chromebooks, it clearly isn't a hardware-specific issue.

HELP!!!
  • andichromebook
    Options
    Yes restarting and power washing did not work for us either. Acer wants us to mail it back in for repair😞
  • Murph45
    Murph45 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I have the same problem after the last update: 81.0.4044.94  I have tried power wash twice. Same result.  1st the touch SCREEN stops. If I continue using it, the touch PAD also stops after 15-30 more minutes. Is there anyway to roll back to an earlier system?
  • Murph45
    Murph45 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    File feedback to Google (with alt-shift-i) to see if we all can get some help.
  • palmoyas

Tinkerer

Options
    Murph45 said:
    File feedback to Google (with alt-shift-i) to see if we all can get some help.
    Done.  Fingers crossed.  Of all times for this to happen, right now my kids are totally reliant on these devices for school.
  • palmoyas

Tinkerer

Options
    I switched to the current beta build for Chrome OS and the issue persists.
  • palmoyas

Tinkerer

Options
    palmoyas said:
    FIXED!  The latest beta version has fixed the issue for my chromebooks!
  • sebastian4699
    sebastian4699 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    palmoyas said:
    palmoyas said:
    FIXED!  The latest beta version has fixed the issue for my chromebooks!
    Lets hope this will work for my r11. Same problem here. This is definitely software related, not hardware. I have no clue, what acer means to solve by sending the Chromebook in.
  • Patrickdeboer
    Patrickdeboer Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem! R11 chromebook, after the update the touchscreen stops working after a while and even the touchpad seems to stop working after a longer period of time. Happened right after the update, so already assumed software issue, glad it indeed seems to be update related.
    Will switch to beta version and report if it works for me as well.
  • Patrickdeboer
    Patrickdeboer Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem! R11 chromebook, after the update the touchscreen stops working after a while and even the touchpad seems to stop working after a longer period of time. Happened right after the update, so already assumed software issue, glad it indeed seems to be update related.
    Will switch to beta version and report if it works for me as well.
    It's been a few hours now, and so far no problems. The update to the beta version seems to have worked. 
  • andichromebook
    Options
    Is it possible to switch to the beta version when it's in parent control mode?