Acer Aspire 5735 heavily refreshed: RAM and BIOS questions

Brand
Brand Member Posts: 23 Networker
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Back story:

My gf has old Acer Aspire 5735 (not the Z model) with Windows Vista bit, T5800 (64 bit) CPU, HDD, 4gb 667mhz ram, integrated Intel graphics. Since I'm a bit nerdy and she does not want to throw her notebook away I SUCCESFULLY installed a T9600 (64 bit), genuine Windows 10 64 bit, SSD, 4gb 800mhz, Intel graphics freshly modded drivers (april 2019). BIOS 1.07 version.

I recently bought a 4gb sodimm stick @800 mhz to pair it with another 2gb 800mhz stick for a total of 6gb. Well, they are all recognized (checked in the bios, Windows properties and CPU-Z), the benchmarks confirm that the frequency is right (comparable with the 2+2 configuration).

What happens? just like when I was running the 2+2 configuration, Windows says that I ONLY have 2.93gb usable out of 6.... I can guess that the other 1.27 are reserved by the integrated graphics and it's ok to me, but what about the other 2 more gigs?!

What Should I do?

Look for some newer chipset drivers?

I have tried to update the bios (both 1.08 and 1.10 version found on the acer website, no modded stuff) with NO luck at all.

That's what I got: Driver (WDM) Init fail! (0x137), with the 64 bit EXEs files found inside the zip archives.

This is the list of things I have tried:

- Launche the .exe update files in Windows;
- Launche the .exe update files as an administrator in Windows;
- Flash the bioses with Phoenix under windows.

The battery is pretty dead but the notebook was obviously always under AC charge.

I have also created a bootable USB drive (two, actually: 1gb FAT and 2gb FAT32) in DOS mode with rufus, unpacked the DOS folder found in the 1.10 zip file and launched the PHLASH16.EXE file under DOS. This thing gives me a generic error regarding the CPK110.WPH file. I've tried the same under FREEDOS but nothing changed.

What's strange is that I have a similarly aged Acer notebook, a Travelmate even lower spec'd (still with Intel integrated graphics but X3100) and it detects and CAN use the whole 6gb configuration under windows 10 64 bit. 

I need your kind help guys :)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,767 Trailblazer
    Sorry, the BIOS might see the extra 2GB but the rest of the system can only use 4GB max in a 2x2 dual channel matched set configuration. The machine is actually being crippled with mismatched  modules. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Brand
    edited December 2019
    JackE said:
    Sorry, the BIOS might see the extra 2GB but the rest of the system can only use 4GB max in a 2x2 dual channel matched set configuration. The machine is actually being crippled with mismatched  modules. Jack E/NJ

Yeah, it might be the issue. i'm gonna give it a last shot.

Anyway, what's the right procedure to flash the bios from a bootable USB?

The service manual says that I have to create a crisis disk. Is there any specific version for this notebook or a specific procedure?

• Brand
    @JackE I finally succeeded in flashing version 1.10 ! Now windows can see and use the whole 6GB of ram :)
  • JackE
    Congrats. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Brand
    JackE said:
    Congrats. Jack E/NJ
    :) 
  • EGIANNI69
    EGIANNI69 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Hi Brand! Can you explain me the procedute that you've used. Thanks!
  • Richy44446
    Richy44446 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have an aspire 5735 and and after my display stopped working, I ordered a 5735z for £30 off eBay so I thought I’d upgrade the 3gb Ram to 4gb by using ram from the replacement machine. Problem is when my ram was 3gb my physical memory was 2.93gb but when I upped it to 4gb, no change. Still 2.93 gb usable. Have I wasted my time here or is there a way of utilising the extra gig of ram. Checked bios and there appeared to be no relevant settings. Any ideas ?
  • JackE
    The 5735 should accept two 2GB DDR2 667MHz. So total physical memory installed should be 4GB shown in the BIOS.  But only about 3GB usable because the Windows operating system needs about 1GB while running. With your old setup, total physical installed should've been 3GB with about 2GB usable. Jack E/NJ .

Jack E/NJ

• Richy44446
    Richy44446 Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    The 5735 should accept two 2GB DDR2 667MHz. So total physical memory installed should be 4GB shown in the BIOS.  But only about 3GB usable because the Windows operating system needs about 1GB while running. With your old setup, total physical installed should've been 3GB with about 2GB usable. Jack E/NJ .

Hi JackE. According to the system information the usable RAM was 2.93 on both occasions wether 3gb or 4gb installed RAM
  • Brand
    Hi there! As I stated in a previous comment, I solved all my ram size incompatibility issues with a bios update to  1.10 version :)
  • JackE
    Richy44446>>>According to the system information the usable RAM was 2.93 on both occasions wether 3gb or 4gb installed RAM >>>

Press Win+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. Please post screenshots of both 2GB+1GB configuration and 2GB+2GB configuration. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ