RAM and SSD upgrade for a Acer Aspire ES1-571-C55X

MarkieMAN64
MarkieMAN64 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Hi there.

I have an Aspire ES1-571-C55X and would like to upgrade the HDD to an SSD and upgrade the RAM from the current 4gb to the max (which I believe is 16gb for this model). I know this laptop is a pain to get in to, but I'm sure I'll be fine. One thing though, I noticed when looking up the specs, this model only appears to accept DDR3L memory, not DDR3. Many websites I checked, when I typed in the model number, would come back with results for DDR3 memory. I'd appreciate if someone could confirm that this is a big no no?

The unfortunate thing is, many sites either don't sell DDR3L memory or they don't know that they are due to it having the same dimensions. Is there a way to tell them apart? Some sellers on Amazon, for example, were claiming to be selling DDR3L memory when the label in the picture appeared to have a label which didn't include the "L". Maybe a stock photo or something?

It's all a shame, because I had spare 2x8gb DDR3 RAM lying around I could have put in if it was compatible, so in this case, I'd love it if someone told me for whatever reason that my Acer can take them, though I don't think that is the case.

Thankful for any advice/insight for a budding hobbyist.

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    16GB max DDR3 Laptop RAM. The L means laptop not always used but important. Desktop DDR3 won't fit. Go here for specs on that machine. https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-es1-571   They're as competitive as anyone. Also for SSDs. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MarkieMAN64

Tinkerer

edited February 2020
    Can't see a UK store for them, but I'm sure I'll find some.

See, that page has both DDR3 and DDR3L. My understanding is that they are not interchange, with the "L" meaning Low-voltage. My understanding, and I'm quite willing to be proven wrong, is that DDR3L modules are dual voltage and can be put into a DDR3 slot, however DDR3 modules can't be put into a DDR3L slot.

New information to me, but the more I find out, the more nervous I would be about trying any of my DDR3 cards in this laptop...especially considering how awkward it appears to be to upgrade!
  • JackE
    The specs for the laptop modules are 1.35 volts. I'm not sure where you got the dual voltage from? There is dual channel ram which this machine supports. All that means is that a matched pair of 8GB DDR3 laptop RAM works best.  Here's the specs from ACER for your model. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Some manufacturers advertise as DDR3 RAM but you have to check the voltage, 1.35V is called DDR3L, 1.5V is called DDR3 RAM, so if you see a DDR3 RAM with 1.35V, it's actually a DDR3L RAM. I have shown some examples below:
    https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-es1-571
    https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/acer/aspire-notebook/es1-571
  • MarkieMAN64

Tinkerer

@JackE DDR3L isn't the same as DDR3. Everything there is DDR3L, which is what I'm saying. The DDR3 and the DDR3L on the shop link you sent me in your previous reply looked the same, but they aren't.

DDR3L cards are dual voltage, running at 1.5V and 1.35V, which means that DDR3L memory can be put in a machine that takes DDR3 memory. In this case, it would run at 1.5V. A DDR3L slot (which is what this laptop has) is 1.35V (hence the "L", which means "low-voltage"), so can't accept DDR3 memory, which runs at a fixed 1.5V.

I'm not sure if we're disagreeing here or one/both of us are misunderstanding. DDR3 and DDR3L look the same. They both physically fit into each others slots, but DDR3 memory shouldn't be put into a laptop which takes DDR3L, as is the case here.

@brummyfan2 Thank you. That makes sense. I think it's maybe a more important distinction than they are giving it credit for, especially in this case.
  • JackE
    We may be overthinking the issue here. I'm sure the matched pair of crucial modules will work just fine or your money back.  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MarkieMAN64

Tinkerer

Again, they can match one another, just as long as they are low voltage (L). Regular DDR3 will physically fit, but you shouldn't use it in this machine. So, as I said, since I've only got regular DDR3, I'm going to need to shell out for the DDR3L for this machine.

Appreciate the help  :)
  • JackE
    If I had a pair of 8GB DDR3 laptop sodimms laying around, I'd certainly try them before shelling out £90. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Anandu105
    Anandu105 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Is ssd slot available on my aspire es 15
    Es1-571-33v
  • JackE

Sorry no m.2 SSD card socket. You however can replace the 2.5" HDD with a 2.5" SSD.

Jack E/NJ