PH315-52-78VL-US - 2019 Predator Helios 300 laptop automatically shuts off

Mayday981
Mayday981 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited January 2020 in Predator Laptops
Hi,

I'm having issues with my 2019 Predator Helios 300 laptop (PH315-52-78VL-US W10HCML64P/I7-9750H/BT/GTX 1660TI/16G/256GB PCI NVME/4L3.72/15.6). I bought this back in August and I've been playing games on it mostly. However, these past couple of days, for some reason the laptop will automatically shut off. I have no idea what is triggering it. My battery is 100% full. I uninstalled Norton Antivirus from there. But it still keeps shutting off at the most random times. Has anybody ever dealt with this? I wanted to see if anybody had a solution before I contact Acer support. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

Answers

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited January 2020
    Mayday981 first of all check your temps while gaming cpu shouldnt go above 80/85 max gpu 70/75 have you optimized your windows and undervolted check here  (your laptop already comes pre undervolted but you can go even further if you wish to) secondly if your issue still persists and its due to high temps you might have to contact acer support to get it repasted or yourself with kryonaut or similar if youre able to without voiding your warranty you can also try a stock recovery clean install to rule out any software issues but backup whatever you need first and select delete everything option

PS: do you have any bsod if so whats the error youre getting (check with bluscreenviewer) and do not turn turbo on if youre on 1909 it will make your device crash (windows fault nothing we can do about it) apart from downgrade to a previous version which would require a clean install deleting the acer recovery permanently but a usb recovery drive can and should be created via acer care center asap  (16gb usb drive) for safekeeping

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Mayday981

Tinkerer

xapim said:
    Mayday981 first of all check your temps while gaming cpu shouldnt go above 80/85 max gpu 70/75 have you optimized your windows and undervolted check here  (your laptop already comes pre undervolted but you can go even further if you wish to) secondly if your issue still persists and its due to high temps you might have to contact acer support to get it repasted or yourself with kryonaut or similar if youre able to without voiding your warranty you can also try a stock recovery clean install to rule out any software issues but backup whatever you need first and select delete everything option

PS: do you have any bsod if so whats the error youre getting (check with bluscreenviewer) and do not turn turbo on if youre on 1909 it will make your device crash (windows fault nothing we can do about it) apart from downgrade to a previous version which would require a clean install deleting the acer recovery permanently but a usb recovery drive can and should be created via acer care center asap  (16gb usb drive) for safekeeping
    Thank you for your help with this. I checked my laptop and it was around 100 fahrenheit. I'm not sure if you were referring to celsius or fahrenheit. I'm not sure what bsod is. But what happens is my laptop will automatically shut off for no reason. It even happens when I'm not gaming and I just barely tap the keyboard. I messaged Acer and they gave me a free shipping to send the laptop back to them. I asked if they had seen this before but they didn't respond. I'll let you know if they give me a diagnosis.

In the meantime, would you have any resources for me to learn more about general knowledge about my laptop? I really want to understand it so I can get a good idea of how to diagnose issues. 
  • JohnCena
    JohnCena Member Posts: 460 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Does it give any errors or beep noises?
  • Mayday981

Tinkerer

JohnCena said:
    Does it give any errors or beep noises?
    No errors or beep noises. It just automatically shuts off. There was one time where I put my fingers over the keyboard and didn't even press it and it shut down. 
  • JohnCena
    Does it shutdown periodically or randomly? It can be some minutes from startup or when you launch an app.
  • Mayday981

Tinkerer

JohnCena said:
    Does it shutdown periodically or randomly? It can be some minutes from startup or when you launch an app.
    If is completely random. I don't think it's tied to any app because it just happens at various times.
  • JohnCena
    I think there is loose battery cables.
  • Mayday981

Tinkerer

JohnCena said:
    JohnCena said:
    How do you fix that?
  • JohnCena
    By opening laptop's back case but it will remove warranty so I wouldn't prefer doing it.

After opening you can check for battery's cables ,not charging hole to battery, battery to system and you can check for loose cables. Again, I would not do it myself if my laptop has warranty.
  • JohnCena
    Sorry for my grammar by the way.
  • JohnCena
    I didn't understand, what do you mean?
  • Mayday981

Tinkerer

Well, I got my laptop back. The diagnosis said it reloaded and reupdated the OS. Then it repasted the thermal module. 

So I turn on my laptop and in the first 5 minutes it shuts down randomly 3 times. Two times when I was on Google Chrome and a third time after I connected my wifi. I'm chatting with support again to see what can be done. Is there ever a chance they completely replace the model? I'm so annoyed that I'll have to send this back and wait another 1-2 weeks for it to be repaired! 
  • JohnCena
    Mayday981 said:
    Well, I got my laptop back. The diagnosis said it reloaded and reupdated the OS. Then it repasted the thermal module. 

So I turn on my laptop and in the first 5 minutes it shuts down randomly 3 times. Two times when I was on Google Chrome and a third time after I connected my wifi. I'm chatting with support again to see what can be done. Is there ever a chance they completely replace the model? I'm so annoyed that I'll have to send this back and wait another 1-2 weeks for it to be repaired! 
    Ask for a replacement for it.
  • 2root2
    2root2 Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon

1. Overheating

Overheating is one of the biggest factors behind a computer’s shutdown problems. It can be due to dust collecting near the fan, cpu overclock or when you accidentally place your laptop near a damp surface.

2. Hardware failures

If overheating is not an issue, then you’d be looking at possible hardware failures. On a Windows 10 , go to the search bar and type “Device Manager.” You should see a list of hardware devices that your laptop uses.

The main components that must work well include RAM, CPU, motherboard, camera, disk drives, keyboard, processors and USB controllers. You should see the device status as “this device is working properly.”

3. Driver Update Issues

Are your drivers failing to update on their own? They, too, can cause random shutdowns in Windows 10 . These drivers are necessary to ensure that the hardware components work properly.

4. Out-of-date BIOS

The BIOS is the computer’s firmware that is primarily responsible for its booting. Typically, it does not have to be replaced, but sometimes an outdated BIOS can cause shutdown issues. launch it in safe mode and check if it throws a bsod or random shut off.

5. Computer Malware

Malware issues are significantly behind your Windows slowdowns and shutdowns. To address this, you should try to diagnose the problems with a reliable anti-virus and anti malware , malware can install itself very easily.

if all else fails you might to open up the back panel , but unless you break any warranty seals you should be okay. it can also be that youve overclocked or undervolted something and the system has become unstable.

• Mayday981

Tinkerer

edited February 2020
    Thanks for your help guys. I got the laptop back a second time and it restarted in the first minute. What I did was I opened it up and went to a website for a typing test. In the first two minutes it randomly shut down. I called Jennifer at Acer and she was really helpful. She's going to issue a replacement. 
  • Dkt47
    Dkt47 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Could be a faulty RAM. If you have a dual RAM, remove one and try using ( try each one). If this works, one of your RAM is faulty.