Keyboard Backlight Timeout on Aspire A515-54G

Razorice
Razorice Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I'd sure love a way to disable the timeout of the backlight for the keyboard. Unfortunately, it seems like a BIOS update is required, but none of the available BIOS versions have this capability. Can we get a new BIOS version that includes this functionality, please?

Best Answer

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓
    jimfitter said:
    A BIOS update came and went, without a keyboard update. I keep giving bad reviews where I can, on this model, in various forums. Hopefully, the bad press gives someone the incentive to fix this. It really is frustrating to have to deal with this.

Please keep in mind that the backlight automatically turning off 30 seconds after the last keystroke, is a power saving feature (mostly found in our newer models) as part of our effort to meet Energy Star7.0, Acer is unable to offer a support path to override or modify this feature if your model is not eligible for the following BIOS update:

A "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" function has been implemented for the following models only: 

Model

BIOS v.

Date

Download Link

Aspire T7000

2019/03/20

Download

Aspire A715-72G

2019/03/20

Download

Predator PH315-51

2019/03/20

Download

Aspire A717-72G

2019/03/20

Download

Nitro AN515-52

2019/03/20

Download

Nitro AN515-53

2019/03/20

Download

Predator PH317-52

2019/03/20

Download

Model

BIOS v.

Date

Download Link

Nitro AN515-42

2019/03/08

Download

Note: Please keep in mind that this implementation (Main tab) will allow users to Disable the "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" option to have the Keyboard Backlight on at all times when on AC power only if the unit is on battery power, it will work as intended (automatically turning off 30 seconds after the last keystroke). You can check periodically for any drivers, manuals and BIOS updates here: Drivers&Manual official page

Please follow the "Disable keyboard backlight timeout" instructions (FAQ):

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61998#_ga=2.159783933.1374864991.1552488642-1045363774.1531752932

BIOS changes example:

Note: This thread will be now closed and this reply will be marked as the solution.

Best Regards,

Acer-Manny

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning Razorice !

Not all models can implement this function.
    If your own, must change in Bios.
    Remembering that it is only functional connected to the power outlet.
    Using on battery will turn off every 30 seconds by default.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Does your model have this function?
    Resultado de imagem para backlit keyboard bios acer
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning Razorice !

Once you check, let me know here.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Razorice

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    These are the bios settings I have. I'm on BIOS v1.12.
  • OK! Does the keyboard light only turn off every thirty seconds on the battery? Or does this occur when you plug in the power adapter too?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Razorice

Tinkerer

Keyboard light turns off every 30ish seconds regardless of if it's plugged in or not.
  • What is the version bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Razorice

Tinkerer

BIOS version is 1.12
  • Somente alguns modelos tiveram essa atualização. No entanto, você pode lançar essa ideia no Acer Idea! Se muitos usuários reclamarem, é bastante provável que eles lancem uma nova versão do bios para adicionar esta função no adaptador de energia.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Razorice

Tinkerer

Well that's kind of what I thought I was doing here, but ok, I'll try to find that ideas board...
  • Razorice

Tinkerer

I can't seem to find "Acer Idea," could you point me in that direction?
  • I believe the link is only available to ACE users!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Razorice

Tinkerer

Oh. Well. Hope it gets fixed, haha. Thanks for your time! 
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jimfitter
    jimfitter Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

A BIOS update came and went, without a keyboard update. I keep giving bad reviews where I can, on this model, in various forums. Hopefully, the bad press gives someone the incentive to fix this. It really is frustrating to have to deal with this.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓
    jimfitter said:

Please keep in mind that the backlight automatically turning off 30 seconds after the last keystroke, is a power saving feature (mostly found in our newer models) as part of our effort to meet Energy Star7.0, Acer is unable to offer a support path to override or modify this feature if your model is not eligible for the following BIOS update:

A "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" function has been implemented for the following models only: 

Model

BIOS v.

Date

Download Link

Aspire T7000

2019/03/20

Download

Aspire A715-72G

2019/03/20

Download

Predator PH315-51

2019/03/20

Download

Aspire A717-72G

2019/03/20

Download

Nitro AN515-52

2019/03/20

Download

Nitro AN515-53

2019/03/20

Download

Predator PH317-52

2019/03/20

Download

Model

BIOS v.

Date

Download Link

Nitro AN515-42

2019/03/08

Download

Note: Please keep in mind that this implementation (Main tab) will allow users to Disable the "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" option to have the Keyboard Backlight on at all times when on AC power only if the unit is on battery power, it will work as intended (automatically turning off 30 seconds after the last keystroke). You can check periodically for any drivers, manuals and BIOS updates here: Drivers&Manual official page

Please follow the "Disable keyboard backlight timeout" instructions (FAQ):

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61998#_ga=2.159783933.1374864991.1552488642-1045363774.1531752932

BIOS changes example:

Note: This thread will be now closed and this reply will be marked as the solution.

Best Regards,

Acer-Manny

This discussion has been closed.