Upgrade Help Predator G3 710

thrawn002
thrawn002 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Hi. I have a stock Acer Predator G3 710. I have an MSI Nvidia GTX 1660, I installed. I have 2x Corsair Vengeance RGB ram installed as well. I tried to install a MSI 360 BSM Bazooka Motherboard, but it shorted out my power cable, not the PSU. I went back to stock motherboard. The ram frequency may be off because it continually beeps if I power down and power back up. If I remove them from their slots, and reinsert, it fixes the issue, after a couple of tries. I wanted to purchase new ram, up to 32GB, from what Crucial scanned my system for to see if it would fix the beeping issue upon turning off. Also, with the stock PSU, what do I need to upgrade my power to, in order to upgrade to 32GB of recommended type ram, graphics card, and MB. Do I need to upgrade PSU if I just use stock motherboard?

Comments

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    The G3-710 comes with either a 500W or 750W power supply, depending on the initial build it shipped with. If you have the 500W you are still probably OK with either 32GB as two 16GB modules or four 8GB modules, but you could easily upgrade the supply to a 650W or 750W to be sure. If you have the 750W supply you should be good to go no matter how many sticks are installed. I'm a bit worried about that short though, what specifically went bad? You could have damaged the PSU without causing it to fail completely.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • thrawn002
    thrawn002 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    I really don't know why it shorted out the cord and not the PSU????
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    You can get a short in the cord from cracked insulation or broken wires. I can envision that smoking the cord without putting any juice into the power supply itself. If that's what happened you are likely safe using the old supply with a new cord. I can also think of a scenario where the supply shorted out at the power connector and melted the cord. In that case a new cord would have the same problem.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.