Cannot access BIOS on A315-22

busdriver12
busdriver12 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I've recently acquired a A315-22 (birthday present) and was wanting to boot from a USB into a live version of Linux. However, it boots straight off the HDD and into Windows. I noticed when starting up there is no message about accessing the BIOS, so I downloaded the user manual to find out how. It states to press F2 when the Acer logo appears, but when I did it this only delays the boot process and eventually boots into Windows.

Can anyone help?

TIA

Best Answer

• busdriver12
    edited January 2020 Answer ✓

After a bit of further searching, I stumbled across the answer. In Windows 10, go to:

Start | Settings | Update & Security | Recovery
    Click Restart Now in Advanced startup. You'll be presented with a blue screen then select the option Troubleshoot then click Advanced Options and then UEFI Firmware settings. Then click the Restart button and you'll be taken to the BIOS.

I was finally able to access the BIOS and boot into Linux off my USB drive. I cannot believe the convoluted way Acer and Windows allows you to access the BIOS. The BIOS should be available during the POST just like every other PC I've used in the past 30 years.

The details can be seen in this video from Acer support. If I was purchasing a laptop I would look elsewhere as I do not find this sort of restrictive behaviour acceptable.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning busdriver12 !

Have you tried Fn + F2?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• What is the exact model? Example AN515-51-75KZ. Besides colleague maclane's suggestion, have you tried to reset the battery?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    busdriver12 , Once you check, let me know here.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• busdriver12
    MaClane said:

Have you tried Fn + F2?

Yes I have. One of the first things I tried after pressing F2 on it's own didn't work.

Tnx :)
  • Can you enter the exact model? Example an515-51-75kz. Have you tried resetting the battery?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • busdriver12
    Can you enter the exact model? Example an515-51-75kz. Have you tried resetting the battery?

The exact model number (taken from the underside of the laptop) is: A315-22-94UJ.

How is the battery reset? Mine is enclosed inside the case.

TIA
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• busdriver12
    Have done this. Found the battery reset hole on the underside and reset it as per the video.

No change - still cannot access the BIOS on startup. When I press F2/Fn F2 at the Acer logo, a busy symbol appears (circle of dots animated in a rotating fashion) then the logo disappears, the busy symbol re-appears and shortly after that, the opening screen of Win 10 appears.

HTH Tnx!
  • Have you tried entering bios by pressing f2 on an external keyboard?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• busdriver12
    edited January 2020 Answer ✓

After a bit of further searching, I stumbled across the answer. In Windows 10, go to:

Start | Settings | Update & Security | Recovery
    Click Restart Now in Advanced startup. You'll be presented with a blue screen then select the option Troubleshoot then click Advanced Options and then UEFI Firmware settings. Then click the Restart button and you'll be taken to the BIOS.

I was finally able to access the BIOS and boot into Linux off my USB drive. I cannot believe the convoluted way Acer and Windows allows you to access the BIOS. The BIOS should be available during the POST just like every other PC I've used in the past 30 years.

The details can be seen in this video from Acer support. If I was purchasing a laptop I would look elsewhere as I do not find this sort of restrictive behaviour acceptable.