"Nothing to see here" on Chromebox Files CXI3-I58GKM

Options
brinkeguthrie
brinkeguthrie Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I notice sometimes I see 'nothing to see here' in a folder that should have content. Why is this? Also, when I open Files, I see RECENT>AUDIO>IMAGES>VIDEOS. sometimes I see stuff in there...sometimes not. What are those for and why do I get this behavior? BTW Chromebox is brand new, model 

Acer Chromebox, 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4, 64GB SSD, Keyboard, Mouse, Chrome, CXI3-I58GKM

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    The key there is the "RECENT"... The files may still be on the system, but not new enough any longer to qualify as recent.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • brinkeguthrie
    brinkeguthrie Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    so to be clear: what should I see in folders marked AUDIO IMAGES MOVIES? are those recent files only? sometimes I see things, sometimes not. Are those folders reflections of what I have in Google Drive (a lot) or in my connected portable Seagate drive (a REAL lot.)  Thanks for your expert insight, BTW.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    I believe you have it right. Most files are only cached on your device, the more permanent version is on your Google Drive. They stay cached locally long enough for you to view them, but after a while they get rid of the local version and only keep it in the cloud. If they didn't do that you'd likely find yourself running out of room fairly soon. There are probably ways to change those settings, but I don't know exactly how.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.