Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54 Ballistix DDR4 2666 RAM Sticks only runs at 2400?

Options
JLaps
JLaps Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives

So I bought acer nitro 5 gaming laptop just recently and it comes with 2*4GB RAM Sticks. CPU Z confirms the RAM sticks are kingston DDR4 2666 and really runs at 2666MHz (you can see attached screenshot).

Since the preinstalled RAM is just 8GB, I upgraded it with a pair of this (to make it 16GB):

Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Single DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) SR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin - BLS8G4S26BFSDK (Gray).

However the upgrade RAM sticks, as confirmed by CPU Z, run at only 2400MHz, not the advertised 2666MHz (see attached image).

I now wonder why the preinstalled ddr4 2666 ram runs at 2666, while the upgrade ddr4 2666 ram runs only at 2400 on exactly the same machine.

Any workaround to attain the 2666 speed of my upgrade RAM sticks? I could not see XMP option on my laptop BIOS!

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,112 Trailblazer
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Hi,
    This module is not compatible with your laptop, it has overclocking feature but it can work if you are able to enable XMP in BIOS, unfortunately the BIOS in your model(almost all laptop models) don't have Advanced settings enabled, so unable to enable XMP.
    So I would suggest you to return these modules and get normal RAM like this:https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/ct8g4sfs8266
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    The moral here is to do your research before buying RAM. Crucial take the guesswork out if it by guaranteeing compatibility with your exact model, go to the link below and enter your model number. I write down the part number and then but it in Amazon, cheaper and faster delivery.
    Please click YES if I have helped solve your problem.

https://www.crucial.com/?cm_re=top-nav-v2-_-flyout-logo-_-memory-home

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• JLaps

Tinkerer

Options
    andylb said:
    The moral here is to do your research before buying RAM. Crucial take the guesswork out if it by guaranteeing compatibility with your exact model, go to the link below and enter your model number. I write down the part number and then but it in Amazon, cheaper and faster delivery.
    Please click YES if I have helped solve your problem.

https://www.crucial.com/?cm_re=top-nav-v2-_-flyout-logo-_-memory-home
    I actually did some research before deciding to go for these ballistix ram modules. Crucial even confirmed that it is 100% compatible with my machine.
  • JLaps

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi,
    This module is not compatible with your laptop, it has overclocking feature but it can work if you are able to enable XMP in BIOS, unfortunately the BIOS in your model(almost all laptop models) don't have Advanced settings enabled, so unable to enable XMP.
    So I would suggest you to return these modules and get normal RAM like this:https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/ct8g4sfs8266

Thanks. But crucial website says it is 100% compatible with my notebook.
    BTW, i contacted the seller and they are offering me to return the item which I would.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,112 Trailblazer
    edited November 2019
    Options
    JLaps said:
    Hi,

BTW, i contacted the seller and they are offering me to return the item which I would.

Hi,
    Yes, this modules start at 2400MHz with overclocking feature added, you could also use the memory finder tool provided by @andylb.

• andylb
    Options
    JLaps said:
    Hi,

My apologies, I have never had compatibility problems with Crucial before but I have always used the standard Crucial brand. I would go for this one
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/nitro-5-an515-54-(intel)/CT14793053

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• JLaps

Tinkerer

Options
    @andylb
    JLaps said:
    Hi,

Hi,
    Yes, this modules start at 2400MHz with overclocking feature added, you could also use the memory finder tool provided by @andylb.

Yes. Start at 2400 MT/s. The keyword there is "start at". So it must run at 2400 only if the motherboard or the system supports up to 2400 only. Then if that is the case, crucial must be clear with that. Or if it needs tinkering the XMP or overclocking or whatever is necessary to attain the 2666 speed, it must be clear on their specs page.

Note that the preinstalled 2666 Kingston ram modules run at 2666 Mhz. Hence, it is very clear that my system supports 2666.

While this ballistix 2666 run only at 2400 on "exactly the same machine"!

BTW, i contacted acer & told me that my laptop supports 2666 ddr4 ram. So the upgrade 2666 ram, according to them, should run at 2666 since the preinstalled ones run at the same speed. They even asked me to go to acer service center to test the ram.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    JLaps said:
    @andylb
    JLaps said:
    Hi,

Hi,

Yes. Start at 2400 MT/s. The keyword there is "start at". So it must run at 2400 only if the motherboard or the system supports up to 2400 only. Then if that is the case, crucial must be clear with that. Or if it needs tinkering the XMP or overclocking or whatever is necessary to attain the 2666 speed, it must be clear on their specs page.

Note that the preinstalled 2666 Kingston ram modules run at 2666 Mhz. Hence, it is very clear that my system supports 2666.

While this ballistix 2666 run only at 2400 on "exactly the same machine"!

BTW, i contacted acer & told me that my laptop supports 2666 ddr4 ram. So the upgrade 2666 ram, according to them, should run at 2666 since the preinstalled ones run at the same speed. They even asked me to go to acer service center to test the ram.
    Hi,
    Yes, I understand your point, I don't understand Crucial's strategy, anyway, you can also try getting the same brand of Kingston modules and install, like this:
    https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk/kingston-kcp426ss8-8-8gb-ddr4-2666mhz-non-ecc-memory-ram-sodimm
  • andylb
    edited November 2019
    Options
    My 2400 mhz runs at 2066 mhz for the same reason

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• JLaps

Tinkerer

Options
    I contacted micron/crucial customer support and told me that maybe there is problem on their item and offer me a replacement.

But i did some research and there is 1 buyer of the same ballistix ram who had the same problem - only getting 2400 Mhz despite his preinstalled samsung ddr4 2666 ram runs at 2666. He returned his ballistix & bought ddr4 2666 kingston hyper x & viola, his ram now runs at 2666. And there was another buyer who has the same problem but just keep his ram & hope his system manufacturer release bios that will solve his problem (which i doubt).

I don't understand why crucial is advertising as ddr4 2666 if it only runs at 2400. And even though they mention speed start at 2400, 2400 is when your system does not support 2666. But my laptop clearly support 2666 as the preinstalled ddr4 2666 kingston ram runs at 2666 aside from acer's confirmation to me.

Will never trust micron/crucial again.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    JLaps said:
    I contacted micron/crucial customer support and told me that maybe there is problem on their item and offer me a replacement.

But i did some research and there is 1 buyer of the same ballistix ram who had the same problem - only getting 2400 Mhz despite his preinstalled samsung ddr4 2666 ram runs at 2666. He returned his ballistix & bought ddr4 2666 kingston hyper x & viola, his ram now runs at 2666. And there was another buyer who has the same problem but just keep his ram & hope his system manufacturer release bios that will solve his problem (which i doubt).

I don't understand why crucial is advertising as ddr4 2666 if it only runs at 2400. And even though they mention speed start at 2400, 2400 is when your system does not support 2666. But my laptop clearly support 2666 as the preinstalled ddr4 2666 kingston ram runs at 2666 aside from acer's confirmation to me.

Will never trust micron/crucial again.
    Hi,
    Yes, get Kingston module as I have suggested in my earlier post.
  • DJMC2010
    DJMC2010 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    JLaps said:

So I bought acer nitro 5 gaming laptop just recently and it comes with 2*4GB RAM Sticks. CPU Z confirms the RAM sticks are kingston DDR4 2666 and really runs at 2666MHz (you can see attached screenshot).

Since the preinstalled RAM is just 8GB, I upgraded it with a pair of this (to make it 16GB):

Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Single DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) SR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin - BLS8G4S26BFSDK (Gray).

However the upgrade RAM sticks, as confirmed by CPU Z, run at only 2400MHz, not the advertised 2666MHz (see attached image).

I now wonder why the preinstalled ddr4 2666 ram runs at 2666, while the upgrade ddr4 2666 ram runs only at 2400 on exactly the same machine.

Any workaround to attain the 2666 speed of my upgrade RAM sticks? I could not see XMP option on my laptop BIOS!

the problem is that laptop bios are basically *****, its impossible to do any overclocking on anything and technically that's what xmp is. Your bios is set to run at maximum jedec, your lucky its not minimum like most desktops, my 3200MHz ripjaws v would run at 2133mhz if I let it alone, but my uefi bios allows me to tinker and run it at a little over 3200MHz with decent timings and 1.35v, your original ram had a maximum jedec of 2666MHz where as the stuff you bought has xmp of 2666MHz, as far as i know, your options are fairly limited, one option is to flash a custom bios and get the ability to change settings that way, but with a laptop that isn't really setup for it, it might not even be possible and its doubtful you would even find a modified bios to flash. It would be a massive help if you could because you would be able to go over xmp (how much depends on the binned quality of the memory) and possibly get tighter timings which would also make a huge difference. Another possible solution is software that can change the bios settings from Windows, but thats a long shot as the settings need to be there to be changed. Ram speed aside, a way you can improve performance is to use a ram cache, as you only have 16GB i would recommend no more than 4GB of cache, 2GB is probably sufficient, that will stop the processor constantly writing to the drive and keep constantly used files available much quicker to the cpu. A good bloatware remover wouldn't hurt either, no matter what windows tells you, any program can be removed even if you have to do it by command line as Admin, just don't remove any windows system stuff unless you research the hell out of it. Sorry if I filled your head a little too much but I hope I've at least given you some options.