Nitro 5 AN515-54 - Change SATA mode from RST to AHCI

cooper1511
cooper1511 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited October 2019 in Nitro Gaming
Hi guys,
I recently bought a acer nitro 5, and I wanted to install linux in my ssd, reading about it, it seems that the only way to do it is by changing in the bios the sata mode from rst to AHCI, but I can't find any option.

Do you know whether this is possible or not?

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hello! Press windows + r and type msconfig. Then enable safe boot and enter uefi bios and then press ctrl + s.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• ed4myra
    ed4myra Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
    please check screen print in https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/555767/new-ssd-a-problem-with-reinstalling-windows-10.
    Restart your PC and hold F2. In BIOS screen it is the second tab. You move between tabs using arrow keys.
  • cooper1511

Tinkerer

Thanks for your answer @ed4myra,

but that option is not present in my Bios, Im not sure if I have to enable something  before.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder

but that option is not present in my Bios, Im not sure if I have to enable something  before.

What is your exact model number
    AN515-** ?

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• ed4myra
    i don't have a Nitro, but acer swift. Please check all your bios screens and look for SATA mode. There you need to change it.

If you want the best help, please specify your exact model, and what kind of hardware did you change/replace. For example, did you replace an M.2 optane card with an M.2 ssd, or you replace the sata hdd with a sata ssd. 
  • cooper1511

Tinkerer

andylb said:

What is your exact model number
    AN515-** ?
    Hi andylb, mi model is Nitro 5 AN515-54
  • ed4myra
    edited October 2019
    your exact model please, so including the numbers and characters after AN515-54-...
    Please make sure you know your exact laptop model and your exact ssd model.
    Do you know which ssd you have, because if you have intel optane ssd you will not be able to install linux.

If you dont have SATA mode in your bios, then likely you have an old AN515. Just try if you can install linux and in the early process linux can recognise your drive and partitions. 

But before you try to install linux, please be knowledgable of some terminology and the way your linux distro will boot, like UEFI vs legacy and MBR vs GPT partition. Without this knowledge you will be stuck again soon.
    https://superuser.com/questions/931560/can-linux-os-boot-off-mbr-in-native-uefi

• andylb
    If you do not have BIOS v 1.09 then please update to it and let us know if you now have the option
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7964?b=1

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• ed4myra
    please check screen print in https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/555767/new-ssd-a-problem-with-reinstalling-windows-10.
    Restart your PC and hold F2. In BIOS screen it is the second tab. You move between tabs using arrow keys.
  • cooper1511

Tinkerer

andylb said:
    If you do not have BIOS v 1.09 then please update to it and let us know if you now have the option
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7964?b=1
    I just checked, and indeed I already have BIOS 1.09
  • andylb
    @egydiocoelho some help here please my friend

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hello! Press windows + r and type msconfig. Then enable safe boot and enter uefi bios and then press ctrl + s.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • cooper1511

Tinkerer

Thank you @egydiocoelho, that worked great... Thank you so much guys
  • You are welcome my friend.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Kevincopper
    Kevincopper Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited October 2019
    What you got after these steps

Because it's not working for me
    Acer Aspire 5 515-54g

cooper1511
  • What is the version bios @kevincopper?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• r00t
    r00t Member Posts: 3 New User
    I read that using msconfig and clicking on safe boot should help me change sata from optane to AHCI... as mentioned by @egydiocoelho use win R and then msconfig -> enable safe boot -> go to UEFI boot menu -> type Ctrl+S . This is not changing the SATA to ACHI! Need help here!
  • r00t
    My bios version is the latest one i.e 1.23!Do i need to switch to bios v1.07 for the above trick to work?
  • r00t
    Edit: Changed to ACHI. Acer has a hidden SATA option. In your bios go to menu tab and then press Ctrl+S and then change the SATA mode!
  • monie
    monie Member Posts: 4 New User
    What you got after these steps

Because it's not working for me
    Acer Aspire 5 515-54g

cooper1511
    did u got solution .. coz i tried it its not working for me... 
  • monie
    monie Member Posts: 4 New User
    my laptop is acer aspire A515-54g.120 gb ssd and 1 tb hdd with bios version 1.12( the latest version).the problem  is i want to install linux instead of having windows. but during installation linux