Acer Nitro 5 515-52 Not Charging (Orange Light Blinking)

Options
mike_aldwin
mike_aldwin Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Acer Nitro 5 Not Charging (Orange Light Blinking)

I noticed my Acer Nitro 5's battery is not charging and the charging (orange) light is blinking. Aside from that, that laptop is working fine. The battery drains but when I plug in the charges, the percentage won't go up. It retains the charge but won't go up, only lower when I disconnect the charger. Has anyone experience this before? Tried the battery reset button with a pin but it didn't work. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

• mike_aldwin

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    andylb said:
    I saw this once on my unit(An515-52).I was running a game with 40% battery then plug in and saw battery wasn't charging and the blinking light.But after sometimes everything back 2 normal.This was my case.but your case is different.Maybe drain the laptop battery until it shut down and then charge for 1-2 hrs?See if that helps.Also update windows and driver's?
    @Alpha_d3vil and @mike_aldwin NEVER game on battery alone. Modern gaming laptops including Acer are not designed to game on battery only, not only does this prevent the laptop from operating in High Performance, it can also cause battery damage.
    When gaming make sure your battery is charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in to the power while gaming
    @mike_aldwin please do a battery reset. Turn off and unplug the laptop, place a straightened paperclip in the small hole on the underside of the laptop and press for a full 10 seconds, let the laptop rest for 15 minutes then plug in and turn on
    If I have answered your question please click YES, thankyou
    Will check this out. I have tried the battery reset with the paperclip hole but not waiting for 15 minutes. I'd like to ask would waiting 15 mins help? Thanks

Answers

• Alpha_d3vil
    Alpha_d3vil Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I saw this once on my unit(An515-52).I was running a game with 40% battery then plug in and saw battery wasn't charging and the blinking light.But after sometimes everything back 2 normal.This was my case.but your case is different.Maybe drain the laptop battery until it shut down and then charge for 1-2 hrs?See if that helps.Also update windows and driver's?
  • mike_aldwin

Tinkerer

Options
    Will try your suggestion. Thanks
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    @Alpha_d3vil and @mike_aldwin NEVER game on battery alone. Modern gaming laptops including Acer are not designed to game on battery only, not only does this prevent the laptop from operating in High Performance, it can also cause battery damage.
    When gaming make sure your battery is charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in to the power while gaming
    @mike_aldwin please do a battery reset. Turn off and unplug the laptop, place a straightened paperclip in the small hole on the underside of the laptop and press for a full 10 seconds, let the laptop rest for 15 minutes then plug in and turn on

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• mike_aldwin

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    andylb said:
    Will check this out. I have tried the battery reset with the paperclip hole but not waiting for 15 minutes. I'd like to ask would waiting 15 mins help? Thanks
  • andylb
    Options
    I recommend waiting 15 mins so no harm in trying.
    You can also reset the battery meter by draining your battery to just under 10% then recharging, repeat for a total of 3 times

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Simranpal_Singh
    Simranpal_Singh Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    My nitro 5 orange light is blinking continuously when I turn it ON and when I remove charger it immediately shut down but battery is showing charging.
  • andylb
    Options
    My nitro 5 orange light is blinking continuously when I turn it ON and when I remove charger it immediately shut down but battery is showing charging.

Please start a new topic for your question 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• R101
    R101 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Just want to let folks know about the BATTERY RESET I eventually managed to do on my Acer Swift 3, just over a year old. I added to this particular discussion as it required extra time to that which Acer Support advised me and this thread mentions 15 mins wait time. My symptom was a dead laptop apart from 5 orange flashes from battery light on side of laptop each time the power switch was operated, but nothing else, no bootup. To get the battery rest done I pulled out the power lead, closed the lid, popped it over and used a small unfurled paperclip to hold down the internal button being the battery reset - tiny hole, you can't miss it really. I held it down for about 15 seconds, not the 5 seconds suggested. I then left the laptop alone for 20 mins before I reattached the power supply, I then left it alone, connected in this way, for another 20-30 mins. Then when I tried it it powered up fine. So if this happens again be very generous on time delays and you should be ok. I tried it about 5 times but doing it quicker, according to Acer Support and missing out the long wait times - and it never worked.
  • oliverwtp
    oliverwtp Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    How about if i gaming my nitro 5 with internal battery removed and plugged in only? Does it work? Any help is greatly appreciated. 
  • akash1997
    akash1997 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options
    Yes, I am having the exact same problem mentioned above. Also, I did played game on my laptop when it was not 100% charged, so I guess that may be the cause.
    Acer should add this info to their manual which is not mentioned currently, every laptop user need to know about this.
    Now that my battery's gone, its not charging even after a battery discharge. So, I think I have to buy a new one. 
    Is there anything else that I should try???
  • Suraj2508
    Suraj2508 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Same problem is with me can u please suggest what to do next if u have find the solution??
  • Sukritha
    Sukritha Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited June 2020
    Options
    My Acer Nitro is just 5 months old. I get the same problem sometimes. I tried the battery reset method a few times but it was of no use. At times the orange LED is constant and it charges fine but the next time I plug in the adapter the battery doesn't charge and starts to blink. I can't figure out what is causing this problem. Will this problem damage the battery? Thanks in advance! :)
  • ProBow06
    ProBow06 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    My Nitro 5 is about a year old now and recently both of my lights would flicker in sync and would stop charging, later my charger stopped working altogether. I tested the battery and it seemed fine so I bought a new charger and it was fine for another 2 months until now it is flickering again. I have found a solution that is currently working, every time it flashes I unplug and wait until it stops then I plug it back in and it charges.