Will my E15 E5-575G sill run with ac power but battery removed?

CCook
CCook Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an Aspire e5-575G with an internal battery.  My power adapter does work(charges battery on different computer), but will not charge my battery.  Now the battery is dead and the computer will not turn on with just the AC adapter.  I have tried removing the battery and then tried to power up with just AC adapter.  No luck.  So my question is should the laptop still run with ac power but battery removed, or do I probably have motherboard issues?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    Your system may have a battery reset switch and/or a safety interlock switch that may be faulty and cause this condition. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CCook
    Is it worth my time and money to buy a battery?  Or should my laptop be able to power up without a battery, just with the adaptor?
  • JackE
    It likely should power up without the battery. Which suggests that the spring-loaded safety interlock switch on the mainboard, if so equipped, may not be fully depressed by or misaligned with the bottom cover. Some production  mainboards for the same models do and some don't have the switch. You have to remove the cover to find out. The spring-loaded switch is usually located around the RAM slots. The fix is usually simple if that's the problem by taping a spacer on the switch or bottom cover so it's depressed harder. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CCook
    I ordered a new battery and the laptop is now working. YEA!  Turns out the computer does require a good(not necessarily charged) battery even for the AC adapter to work.(Not like the old days when you could just take the battery out and just run on AC).  One thing to to watch out for: with the AC adapter plugged in, if when turning on the computer is says critical battery low(or something like that) or a brief second and then shuts down - something is wrong with the battery/battery circuitry.  Its like the computer turns on with the ac, checks the battery and sees nothing, then shuts down.  Hope this helps someone else.  
  • JackE
    Thanks for reporting back on this. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ