Unable to upgrade your edition - error message trying to upgrade to Win 10 Pro - Aspire M3470 Deskto

brewer55
brewer55 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I'm attempting to upgrade my Aspire M3470 Desktop from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro. When I go to 'Settings', 'Update & Security', 'Activation', then 'Change Product Key', I get the following error after entering the Windows 10 Pro Key: "Unable to upgrade your edition. Something interrupted our troubleshooting. Make sure you're connected to the internet, wait a few minutes, and try again. (0x80070057). I have flashed the BIOS, and confirmed that my Home edition is updated with all security patches and updates via Windows Update. There is no issue with internet connectivity. 
Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Best Answers

• brewer55
    Answer ✓
    billsey said:
    OK, I've seen that error before, usually when trying with the wrong OS type. Try this and let us know how it goes. If that doesn't work it might mean a call to Microsoft.
    Wow, that is a good page to bookmark as it lists just about everything on how to clean up a machine. Honestly, I'm thinking now about formatting that SSD, and starting from scratch with a fresh install of Windows 10. I'm comfortable with backing everything up and then reloading the programs too. 

billsey, I really appreciate you taking the time in the last week trying to help me resolve this issue. It is very much appreciated. 

Thank you, sir!
  • brewer55
    Answer ✓
    billsey said:
    Be sure to download all the drivers from Acer's support page to a flash drive before wiping... Nothing more frustrating than finding you network drivers aren't in the Windows install.
    Today, I performed a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. I was using a wireless USB connection so, the Acer drivers were not a concern. So, I can close the books on this one. I do like to bird dog a problem but, this one was rather elusive. Thank you again, billsey, for your time and effort on trying to help me out. Have a great day!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Error 0x80070057 is usually tied to corrupted files or partitions. Run a check disk and have it scan for and repair bad sectors then try the upgrade again. If that doesn't show us a screen grab of Disk Management and we'll look at other partitions on the drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • brewer55
    billsey said:
    Error 0x80070057 is usually tied to corrupted files or partitions. Run a check disk and have it scan for and repair bad sectors then try the upgrade again. If that doesn't show us a screen grab of Disk Management and we'll look at other partitions on the drive.
    First, thank you for providing feedback and a suggestion on how to proceed on resolving my issue. 
    I ran CHKDSK outside of Windows 10 (ran on bootup) and then I tried the upgrade again. I got the same error. 
    NOTE: The error comes up immediately after clicking the start process (the screen right after it accepts the license key for Win 10 Pro). 
    Here is a snapshot of Disk Management:

NOTE: there are 2 internal hard drives. The 2nd drive is used for data and backups. Also, a few months ago, I replaced the original SATA drive with an SSD that was clone of the SATA drive. 

• billsey
    OK, we're going to want to delete the excess recovery and system reserved partition, but need to make sure they are the right ones. Fire up a command prompt and run diskpart, do a list disk and list vol, then sel disk 0, list part, sel disk 1, list part and dump the results here. I think what is happening is the two partitions are conflicting with each other, likely because the cloning process gave them the same ID. I assume the SSD is the 500GB? You could also verify you are booting fully from the SSD by disconnecting the HDD and booting.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • brewer55
    edited October 2019
    The SSD is the 500GB drive. I did disconnect it and the system would not boot as the other drive is just a data drive with backups. 
    Here is a snapshot of the diskpart commands you requested. 

• billsey
    OK, delete the first two partitions (12GB and 100MB) on disk 1. You may be able to then expand the partition that's left to fill the whole disk, gaining that bit back. Once they are gone let's try again to see if it helped at all.
  • brewer55
    Question. Disk 1 is the 1TB data drive. Do you believe that the two partitions on that drive are going to resolve the issue with Disk 0, the SSD that is the bootable disk with Win 10?
  • brewer55
    billsey said:
    OK, delete the first two partitions (12GB and 100MB) on disk 1. You may be able to then expand the partition that's left to fill the whole disk, gaining that bit back. Once they are gone let's try again to see if it helped at all.
    I deleted the partitions on Disk 1. Here is another couple of snapshots.

I rebooted, and tried once again to upgrade from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro, and I get the same original error. 
    Is there a chance that this still has to do with ACER embedding the OEM license key for the home edition into the firmware of the MOBO? 
    I did download the BIOS from ACER and I flashed it. This changed nothing. 
  • billsey
    The machine has a UEFI BIOS that stores it's configuration on that SYSTEM RESERVED partition, the Windows key is stored there and Windows expects it to be stored there. Let's step through the activation one more time with you posting each step and the result. Maybe that will shed some light on it. Where did you get the Pro key? Was it a retail purchase or a volume license (like you would get from your company)?
  • brewer55
    billsey said:
    The machine has a UEFI BIOS that stores it's configuration on that SYSTEM RESERVED partition, the Windows key is stored there and Windows expects it to be stored there. Let's step through the activation one more time with you posting each step and the result. Maybe that will shed some light on it. Where did you get the Pro key? Was it a retail purchase or a volume license (like you would get from your company)?
    Here are the steps (snapshots) of each step in the 'Activation' of trying o upgrade to Win 10 Pro from Win 10 Home. 
    NOTE: the Windows 10 Professional Edition key is retail, not a volume license.

The key is accepted and the next step, the upgrade should be kicking off...

• billsey
    OK, I've seen that error before, usually when trying with the wrong OS type. Try this and let us know how it goes. If that doesn't work it might mean a call to Microsoft.
  • brewer55
    Answer ✓
    billsey said:
    Wow, that is a good page to bookmark as it lists just about everything on how to clean up a machine. Honestly, I'm thinking now about formatting that SSD, and starting from scratch with a fresh install of Windows 10. I'm comfortable with backing everything up and then reloading the programs too. 

billsey, I really appreciate you taking the time in the last week trying to help me resolve this issue. It is very much appreciated. 

Thank you, sir!
  • billsey
    Be sure to download all the drivers from Acer's support page to a flash drive before wiping... Nothing more frustrating than finding you network drivers aren't in the Windows install.
  • brewer55
    Answer ✓
    billsey said:
    Today, I performed a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. I was using a wireless USB connection so, the Acer drivers were not a concern. So, I can close the books on this one. I do like to bird dog a problem but, this one was rather elusive. Thank you again, billsey, for your time and effort on trying to help me out. Have a great day!