UNEXPECTED ERROR DURING RECOVERY Acer C910-54 M1

blenderbender
blenderbender Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Was browsing this morning and all of a sudden got a screen that said  "Chrome OS is missing or damaged. Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card." After booting up an old Chromebook and searching a bit I tried some less desperate measures and nothing worked so I downloaded and installed the Chrome recovery app and ran it according to the directions. I installed  on a usb stick and after trying that I got the "unexpected error during recovery" message. So I installed it on  an SD card and same thing happened. All google has to say at this point is 'call manufacturer'. Are there any other options? Thanks!

Answers

• blenderbender

Tinkerer

I was able to discern this much, but not certain exactly what it means. Guessing HD failure.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Yeah, at this point it's looking like the drive has failed, and IIRC it's soldered to the MB. If you are in warranty now is the time to contact Acer support. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • blenderbender

Tinkerer

I ain't exactly well versed on such matters, but isn't this the SSD?  I've got one coming from eBay.... guess I'll know soon enough. Thanks!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    That does look like an M.2 SSD... :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • blenderbender

Tinkerer

Just replaced SSD with used one from eBay ($15) and it works perfectly now.