Is Linux OS compatible with Acer predator Helios 300(2019) ?

Luke_rebel
Luke_rebel Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in Predator Laptops
I am planning to buy the new Acer predator Helios 300 with GTX 1660ti for gaming and programming, I wanted to dual boot the laptop with windows and Ubuntu, so wanted to know if it works.

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You probably should try to post detail questions like this to the forum of the Ubuntu distro that you finally decide upon. Like I said, some distro installations are better than others. LinuxMint and its forums are among the best to post on specific hardware questions. Remember, you are trying to install Linux on a machine that was designed to run on Windows so there may be a few imperfections but hopefully not as many as each new  major Win10 update release often seems to cause.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Aniruddh
    Aniruddh Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Aniruddh said:
    Yes, it is. But make sure that you disable Secure Boot from BIOS in case you are installing a distro that doesn't support Secure Boot.
    What about the Nvidia drivers?? Are they compatible?
    Yes, they are. You can use this guide for Ubuntu 18.04:

https://www.mvps.net/docs/install-nvidia-drivers-ubuntu-18-04-lts-bionic-beaver-linux/

popOS has a flavour that comes with nVidia drivers so you won't have to install anything.

https://system76.com/pop

Answers

• JackE
    Yes indeed! I suggest LinuxMint Cinnamon 19.2 as dual boot as one of the easiest to install and configure.
    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Aniruddh
    Yes, it is. But make sure that you disable Secure Boot from BIOS in case you are installing a distro that doesn't support Secure Boot.
  • Luke_rebel
    JackE said:
    Yes indeed! I suggest LinuxMint Cinnamon 19.2 as dual boot as one of the easiest to install and configure.
    Jack E/NJ
    Will the Nvidia drivers work properly?
  • Luke_rebel
    Aniruddh said:
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    You probably should try to post detail questions like this to the forum of the Ubuntu distro that you finally decide upon. Like I said, some distro installations are better than others. LinuxMint and its forums are among the best to post on specific hardware questions. Remember, you are trying to install Linux on a machine that was designed to run on Windows so there may be a few imperfections but hopefully not as many as each new  major Win10 update release often seems to cause.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Aniruddh
    Answer ✓
    Aniruddh said:
    Yes, they are. You can use this guide for Ubuntu 18.04:

https://www.mvps.net/docs/install-nvidia-drivers-ubuntu-18-04-lts-bionic-beaver-linux/

popOS has a flavour that comes with nVidia drivers so you won't have to install anything.

https://system76.com/pop

• maxhax
    maxhax Member Posts: 2 New User
    I know this is an old thread, but Linux works great on this laptop, except!! I can not get the CPU to ru over 2.2GHz most times. It seems random, but sometimes I can boot into Windows, open Predator Sense, change cooling to "CoolBoost" then reboot back into Linux and I can ramp up to 4GHz.. This doesn't work every time though. Can anyone tell me what I can do to make this work every time, preferably without having to boot into Windows?

I would create a new thread, but my account doesn't allow me yet. Maybe I have to confirm an email or something.
  • JackE
    Sorry, the frequency boost is automatic. It depends on program/app demands, temps and charger/battery output capabilities. It is not directly user controllable. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• maxhax
    maxhax Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    Sorry, the frequency boost is automatic. It depends on program/app demands, temps and charger/battery output capabilities. It is not directly user controllable. Jack E/NJ

I don't believe this is entirely true. I'm thinking if the fan profile is not set then it locks to stock base speeds. 2.2GHz. I could have cinelerra render a video and it sit at 2.2GHz CPU @ 100% and temps around 120F. Then I could reboot to Windows open PredatorSense, change the cooling to "CoolBoost", reboot to Linux, run cinelerra and wham, 3.9GHz turbo @ 100% @ 190F.

This CPU is supposed to do 4.1GHz with 1-2 cores active, 4GHz 3-4 cores active, and 3.9GHz 5-6 cores active. But I don't think it can do this if the fan profile is not set correctly. If I remember right even in Windows if you set fan profile to normal, I don't think CPU will go above 2.2GHz. I think it needs to be set to max or coolboost to be able to enable turbo.
  • JackE
    >>>This CPU is supposed to do 4.1GHz with 1-2 cores active, 4GHz 3-4 cores active, and 3.9GHz 5-6 cores active.>>>

This is the CPU-only mfr design specs, not the ACER system design specs using this CPU. The two aren't necessarily the same. ACER often limits maximums by 10-20% in the BIOS due to laptop thermal design.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JafarAkhondali
    JafarAkhondali Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi, I've implemented turbo mode support for Linux here:

Give it a try (at your own risk), and if it worked(or not) for you, kindly please drop an issue.

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi JafarAkhondali,

Good to know thanks for your information. It will be useful for many people. 
This discussion has been closed.