My Acer Chromebook 15 CB3-531-C4A5 Screen Flickers When Moved

Options
TailsPrower07
TailsPrower07 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHab3MuVTQM& here is a video of my problem.
Hello all, I've recently been having an issue with my Acer Chromebook 15 CB3-531-C4A5 (P/N is NX.G15AA.001 and no real changes besides the usual updates that are thrown out). It's been a problem for the past week but today it just got worse. My screen flickers and falls to black whenever I move it. I have had it for about 2 years now, and I'm almost certain the warranty is expired. When it first started doing it about a week ago all I had to do was move it a little bit and it'd turn back on and it'd be fine, but now since today it feels like whenever I have to fiddle with it now it's now a matter of chance and luck if it works or not. As in the video I linked, it shows what's going on. Also in the video, sometimes moving the screen ends up blacking it out and not even moving it works, so I have to turn the brightness all the way down (where it blacks the screen out) and turn it back up and continue fiddling with the screen hoping it'll turn back on and I can continue using it. Another thing to point out is when it is on, sometimes no matter where I bump into it (screen, below the keyboard, etc) it still ends up blacking out. Another note to make; how I move the screen also depends on what it does, in the video I'm pushing the right side of the screen forward to get it to come on, but when it is on and working, and I pull the right side back (as if to close it), it blacks out. The opposite on the left side, forward blacks it out, pulling it back turns it back on, hence why I reached towards the right side to pull it back. It worries me since I fear that at some point it'll just black out and no matter how many times I fiddle with it it will never come back on, it's nearly unusable as it is. Is there a potential short in the wiring that's causing it to do this, or is it something else? And is it at the point where I have to bring it in to someone and see if they can get it fixed or do I just have to get a new one? Or is anything that I could possibly do to fix it? Thanks.

Answers

• TECH_MAN
    TECH_MAN Ally Posts: 453
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hi TailsPrower07
    Display flickering issue, it seems to be issue with Chrome Sync. As a work around I recommended  you reset the Chrome sync. By resetting the Chrome Sync you will loose all of your saved apps, extensions, settings, Autofill, History, Themes, Bookmarks, Password, and open tabs.

To perform a "Reset Sync"

1. Sign in to your Gmail account (which you used in your Chromebook) using a Chrome browser on a different Windows computer (Desktop or Laptop). 

2. Once it's logged in, go to the Settings section and click on Google Dashboard. 

3. Scroll down and click Reset Sync. 
    Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • TailsPrower07
    Options
    TECH_MAN said:
    Hi TailsPrower07
    Display flickering issue, it seems to be issue with Chrome Sync. As a work around I recommended  you reset the Chrome sync. By resetting the Chrome Sync you will loose all of your saved apps, extensions, settings, Autofill, History, Themes, Bookmarks, Password, and open tabs.

To perform a "Reset Sync"

1. Sign in to your Gmail account (which you used in your Chromebook) using a Chrome browser on a different Windows computer (Desktop or Laptop). 

2. Once it's logged in, go to the Settings section and click on Google Dashboard. 

3. Scroll down and click Reset Sync. 
    Just a quick question, how would Chrome sync issues cause this though? Especially with the tilting of the screen in order to get it working. It feels like it would be more of a hardware issue than that. Just curious 
  • TailsPrower07
    Options
    UPDATE: The situation has gotten worse, now the screen just won't come back on anymore no matter how much I fiddle with it. All it does is flicker. I'm just about to give up on it. Is there anything I can do to fix it or is it a lost cause?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yeah, that looks more like a hardware issue than the Chrome Sync problem. I'm guessing the cable that runs between the motherboard and screen is either coming off it's connector or has some broken wires in it. Are you still in warranty? If so contact Acer support so they can get it repaired for you. If you are out of warranty let me know and we'll dig into taking it apart.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.