How to update BIOS in ACER Aspire TC-780A Windows 10 Home?

pvicrobinson
pvicrobinson Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I own an Aspire TC-780A-UR12 running Windows 10 Home 64-bit. My BIOS is currently R02-A3 (outdated). The latest BIOS listed in Acer support for this system is R02-B2. When I attempt to update/flash the BIOS, it simply flickers but the BIOS never changes. Please help as this BIOS should correct my DVD recognition problem. Although I am an elder citizen and a novice when it comes to making changes to the system properties; I believe even I should be able to update the BIOS without having to pay a technician to do it. So please provide any assistance in a "step-by-step solution"--very detailed and basic. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited September 2019 Answer ✓
    @pvicrobinson

I'm going to give you the official Acer instructions.  I'm also going to give you the unofficial JordanB instructions.  My instructions are basically the same instructions as Acer's, but worded differently....and probably easier for someone unfamiliar with DOS.

So with the official Acer instructions, you would download R02-B2 and unzip/extract it.  And then follow the Winflash Utility SOP instructions that are in the Appendix folder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unofficial JordanB instructions are below.  Proceed at own risk.

Try reading and following the official Acer instructions first, and if they don't make sense, try my instructions below.  Hopefully you'll understand the Acer instructions and won't need mine.

1. Download R02-B2
    2. Unzip/extract it
    3. Copy the Win and ROM folders to a USB drive 
    4.  Open an Admin Command Prompt
    5.  If your USB drive has a drive letter of F, then you would type

F:
    cd win
    flash.bat

6. Sit back and wait for the processing to complete.  Your computer will restart automatically.
    7. After your computer restarts, you'll hear a beep.  When you hear the beep, you tap the Delete key (when you see the Acer logo) to get in to the BIOS settings.
    8. Load the BIOS defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10)
    9.  That's it.
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited September 2019 Answer ✓
    @pvicrobinson

I'm going to give you the official Acer instructions.  I'm also going to give you the unofficial JordanB instructions.  My instructions are basically the same instructions as Acer's, but worded differently....and probably easier for someone unfamiliar with DOS.

So with the official Acer instructions, you would download R02-B2 and unzip/extract it.  And then follow the Winflash Utility SOP instructions that are in the Appendix folder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unofficial JordanB instructions are below.  Proceed at own risk.

Try reading and following the official Acer instructions first, and if they don't make sense, try my instructions below.  Hopefully you'll understand the Acer instructions and won't need mine.

1. Download R02-B2
    2. Unzip/extract it
    3. Copy the Win and ROM folders to a USB drive 
    4.  Open an Admin Command Prompt
    5.  If your USB drive has a drive letter of F, then you would type

F:
    cd win
    flash.bat

6. Sit back and wait for the processing to complete.  Your computer will restart automatically.
    7. After your computer restarts, you'll hear a beep.  When you hear the beep, you tap the Delete key (when you see the Acer logo) to get in to the BIOS settings.
    8. Load the BIOS defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10)
    9.  That's it.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • pvicrobinson
    pvicrobinson Member Posts: 2 New User
    JordanB,

Thanks! That was exactly what I needed -- detailed, yet to the point. My BIOS is now up-to-date, and my DVD is being recognized once again.