Options
2»

Answers

• jaswal72
    jaswal72 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Hodor said:
    qwertyfmt said:
    I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42-R8SH, since there's no AN512-42, I'm going to presume you misspelled and you have the same machine I do (Ryzen with Radeon 560X).

1. I'll assume you currently have Windows 10 installed.

2. Go to https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7605?b=1 and upgrade your BIOS. (You can easily do this if you have a Windows installed).

3. When you burn your OS (Ubuntu 16/18, Elementary, or any Ubuntu derived distribution) onto the USB stick, go to WHATEVER_USB_DRIVE_LETTER:\boot\grub and open the "grub.cfg" file. There you will see all possible options to run on boot, so go there and look for every line that contains "quiet splash", and right after splash, add "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2".

I'll give you an example,
    Before:
    linux /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash ---
    After:
    linux /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2 ---

There is a firmware problem with internal routing and memory tables. This fix applies to all AN515-42 models with latest BIOS.

4. Restart your PC, try to boot your newly installed Linux, notice it will fail.

5. Restart your PC and boot the USB stick (F12 key).

6. So now, you boot the USB stick again and select "Try Ubuntu / Elementary / whatever".

7. Click on the file browser and go to your installed Linux drive, the file browser will automount the partition, and go to /boot/grub (/media/ubuntu/some-serial-number-123123123/boot/grub). Careful! There will be YOUR_USB_DRIVE/boot/grub, YOUR_CURRENT_LINUX_SESSION/boot/grub, MOUNTED_PARTITION_FROM_PREVIOUS_LINUX_BOOT/boot/grub, and you want the last one.

8. Open grub.cfg and redo what you did at point 3.

9. Whenever using "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y", as in whenever you upgrade your Linux, make sure the "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2" doesn't get removed from "/boot/grub/grub.cfg"!!! This can happen when grub gets upgraded. To try and avoid this, go to /usr/lib/grub-legacy/update-grub and look for defoptions="quiet splash" and add "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2". Also in the /etc/default/grub look for the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash" and add make it GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2"

10. Restart, pull out USB stick, and enjoy your Linux.

11. Optionally, wherever you see quiet splash you can delete quiet splash, if you want to see verbose logs whenever booting, instead of the logo splash loader.

PS: Let me know if it worked.
    Could you share your great knowledge same for install kali linux i'm tired to insatall kali linux in my same system Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 
    and i've already latest updated BIOS  so pls tell me detail solution how to install kali linux.
    i'm already enrolled to cyber Security program teacher told me install kali linux but all time when i try to install always failed.
    so pls guide me with your precious knowledge. 
    Thanks.
    Bro which collage u from?
  • Mayu
    Mayu Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Try to install open suse leap 15.1 distro. use guided partitions. To Enable WiFi in open suse go to Network Settings > Global options and change wicked to Network Manager
  • christophorus
    christophorus Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    qwertyfmt said:
    I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42-R8SH, since there's no AN512-42, I'm going to presume you misspelled and you have the same machine I do (Ryzen with Radeon 560X).

2. Go to https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7605?b=1 and upgrade your BIOS. (You can easily do this if you have a Windows installed).

3. When you burn your OS (Ubuntu 16/18, Elementary, or any Ubuntu derived distribution) onto the USB stick, go to WHATEVER_USB_DRIVE_LETTER:\boot\grub and open the "grub.cfg" file. There you will see all possible options to run on boot, so go there and look for every line that contains "quiet splash", and right after splash, add "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2".

Before:
    linux /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash ---
    After:
    linux /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2 ---

There is a firmware problem with internal routing and memory tables. This fix applies to all AN515-42 models with latest BIOS.

4. Restart your PC, try to boot your newly installed Linux, notice it will fail.

6. So now, you boot the USB stick again and select "Try Ubuntu / Elementary / whatever".

7. Click on the file browser and go to your installed Linux drive, the file browser will automount the partition, and go to /boot/grub (/media/ubuntu/some-serial-number-123123123/boot/grub). Careful! There will be YOUR_USB_DRIVE/boot/grub, YOUR_CURRENT_LINUX_SESSION/boot/grub, MOUNTED_PARTITION_FROM_PREVIOUS_LINUX_BOOT/boot/grub, and you want the last one.

9. Whenever using "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y", as in whenever you upgrade your Linux, make sure the "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2" doesn't get removed from "/boot/grub/grub.cfg"!!! This can happen when grub gets upgraded. To try and avoid this, go to /usr/lib/grub-legacy/update-grub and look for defoptions="quiet splash" and add "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2". Also in the /etc/default/grub look for the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash" and add make it GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2"

11. Optionally, wherever you see quiet splash you can delete quiet splash, if you want to see verbose logs whenever booting, instead of the logo splash loader.

is the method only work for the nitro 5 AMD version? or it also can be used for the intel product. 
    PS: i have the 2019 nitro 5 AN515-54 version
  • Bhaveshnitro
    Bhaveshnitro Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited September 2019
    Options
    I have efi file instead of cfg file is the process same?
  • Mayu
    Mayu Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
     The Kubuntu 19.04 installation works fine after updating the bios to the latest version 1.16,  now we don't need to turn off the acpi you just need  to add this line to /etc/default/grub file

<span></span><pre class="CodeBlock"><code><span>i</span>vrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2

• Saurabh_k
    Saurabh_k Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    After updating bios to latest version 1.16, we can install Ubuntu without any changes. Just plug in USB and install ubuntu on the system. Thanks for bios update Acer, waited for a long time.
  • gishnu93
    gishnu93 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    qwertyfmt said:

Before:
    After:

hey will this work on acer nitro AN515-52 model .while trying to select the partition for installing ubuntu ssd id not showing up. And even if i install ubuntu on the hard drive its getting stuck 
  • Griisu
    Griisu Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    Bios update 1.16 did fix the boot problems. Since I don't need to use "pci=noacpi" anymore, the issue of not waking up after sleep/hybernate is also solved. :+1:
    Additionally Bios 1.13 did break the touchpad for me. This is also fixxed again with 1.16.

All in all. Bios 1.16 seems to solve my major problems in linux with this laptop.
  • kathir
    kathir Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    Hey guys i solved it .
    Thereby i installed linux over windows 10 in nitro 5 and successfully boot into it.
    Here is the clear guide of how I did this..
    https://medium.com/@kathirvelk/is-linux-installation-alongside-windows-a-nightmare-in-acer-nitro-5-8f142dfda32f