Hardware Reserved RAM on A515-43-R19L

Scii
Scii Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I recently helped my friend pick out a new laptop. We decided on the A515-43-R19L. It comes with 4 GB of Samsung DDR4 2666 RAM. I recommended upgrading that to at least 8 GB, so I purchased an identical SODIMM stick to install. After installation, WIndows detected 8 GB, but only 5.9 GB is usable and 2.1 GB is "hardware reserved". After further researching the issue, and trying possible solutions,  it seems to be the BIOS not properly configured, but I see no setting in BIOS to fix the issue. BIOS is up to date. Any ideas?

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good afternoon Scii !

There are no errors and this issue does not depend on Bios.
    RAM buffer control for the hardware is controlled by the operating system itself and is not fixed.
    This value may change according to the settings and requests.

To do this always use the high performance device in the power options and plugged into the power outlet.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Scii
    So, you are telling me it's normal to have 27% of my physical RAM to be "hardware reserved"? I have already changed related settings, power settings, had the laptop on AC power with no change. It just doesn't seem normal for 2.1 GB to be unusable...
  • MaClane
    Try this:

1. Press Start -> Run

2. Type msconfig

3. Go under the "Boot" tab

4. Click "Advanced options" button

5. Uncheck "Maximum memory"

enter image description here

6. Reboot

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Scii
    Yep, I did try that. Still at 5.9 GB. Thanks for the help, but I still think it's a BIOS thing...
  • How much dedicated ram is being used by the graphics card?
    Resultado de imagem para ram dedicated to graphics
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Scii
    That's a great question actually. As I said, it's my friend's computer and I don't have access to it right now, but I can say that it's a Ryzen 3200U with Vega 3 graphics, which should not use close to 2 GB of RAM, right?
  • MaClane
    This processor uses the RX Vega 3 which can use shared RAM Gb due to several factors, notably AMD driver failures.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• prodeq12
    prodeq12 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I am having the same issue on my a515-43-r19l. I added 4GB for a total of 8GB but system shows only a usable 6GB. Anyone have an idea what that is about?
  • The system determines a certain amount of ram for the video card @prodeq12.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MaClane
    Good morning prodeq12 !

To keep the forum organized and your questions more visible, please avoid posting to already resolved or inactive topics.
    Always open a new post, as it has been guided by moderators.
    Put an @ in front of my name that will guide you there for any questions.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• RiderCurious
    RiderCurious Member Posts: 39 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited October 2019
    Having same issue

I have already tried all known "solutions", additionally bios updated, windows reset

BTW if I use only one 4 GB module OS takes away only 0.5 GB of total physical memory

how do i change an email registered for this account ? or better let me quit this*** site! ****

[ Signature edited to remove inappropriate or personal content]
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    Having same issue

I have already tried all known "solutions", additionally bios updated, windows reset

BTW if I use only one 4 GB module OS takes away only 0.5 GB of total physical memory

Please don't post in multiple threads, stick to your own thread, thanks.
  • Luisgfredo
    Luisgfredo Member Posts: 1 New User
    your ram it's been recerber to be use by the GPU, vega 3 GPU support 2gb of vram and you are missin 2 gb ram coincidence? NOT, IGPU depends of the ram in the sistem to be use as a Video ram.
  • ShubhamAspire7
    ShubhamAspire7 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Yes u are right. It's due to bios configuration and has nothing to do with "OS" as someone said here. Option to change hardware reserved memory in bios is blocked by acer 
    We know how stupid is this
  • Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 686 Moderator
    Hi @ShubhamAspire7,

We thank you for joining our Acer community. 

Here you can share your ideas, solutions and ask questions.

It looks like one of your comment was updated in older thread. Since, the thread is old the your issue may not get addressed. We suggest you to create a new topic by mentioning the issue and the model name of your unit. 

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel
This discussion has been closed.