Touchpad Disabled?

Options
Mitragorz
Mitragorz Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives

Yesterday, I walked into my kitchen to see my 19-month-old standing on a chair bashing my laptop. Acre Nitro 5 with Windows 10.

I took it away from him but I don’t think I’ve used it since then. I just fired it up (from sleep or hibernation or whatever it’s called when all you do is shut the lid.

I couldn’t find the cursor. So I did a restart, logged back in, and still no curser.

Using the keyboard, I managed to get into the mouse settings and turn on the “locate cursor with ctrl” function. Pressing control, it shows that the cursor is in the dead center of the screen. But if I swipe on the touchpad, it doesn’t move from that spot.

If I plug in a wireless usb mouse I can use the cursor, click, etc. If I unplug the mouse, the cursor stays where it is but I still can’t move it with the touchpad. Furthermore, if I position the cursor over an icon using the mouse, then unplug the mouse, I can’t click the icon using the touchpad. Neither with a soft tap or a hard push.

The laptop did go through an update yesterday, but I don’t remember if it was before or after my kid got his hands on it.

This icon is what I see after I do a restart and try to use the touchpad: https://imgur.com/a/VZprN5u

Wtf happened to my touchpad??

Things that may or may not be helpful:

1. If I navigate to Start -> PC Settings and select "Touchpad" on the left panel, it shows that the touchpad is on. Toggling it off then back on doesn't fix the issue.

2. If I get into the Device Manager, under "Mice and other pointing devices" HID-compliant mouse is listed twice. If I unplug the USB mouse, one of them goes away.

Answers