Acer Switch Alpha 12 Display Problem

Options
wickramaj
wickramaj Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I bought my new Acer laptop for my official work, never dropped, always in the safety case, which is always in my carry bag. It works fine, but after couple of minutes work, the screen all of a sudden goes in to multicolor-blended black display, and stays. I usually keep pressing the ON/OFF button until it shuts off, and re start, to find the exact page I left. Nothing happens to my data, but this happens in the middle of my clinical work(I am a dentist, and this is my office work). I wonder whether it is a  matter with the VG card, but Staples store told me that I have not purchased the worrenty for 2 years or so, so they can not do anything. Is there any solution or if not, I plan to switch brand.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,756 Pathfinder
    Options
    @wickramaj
    Try the below link for fix and check:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    If it's shutting off in a way that puts you back where you started when you start it again it's either going to sleep and hanging or going into hibernate. Look into the power options and see if you can pin it down. Does it happen after some specific period of inactivity? Does it happen when the battery drops to a certain percentage?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • wickramaj
    Options
    billsey said:
    If it's shutting off in a way that puts you back where you started... Hey.. thanks for helping out. No.. there is no fixed time period, sometimes happens soon after starting, sometimes after couple of minutes or hours. It seems nothing wrong with windows 10, since it is all up to date. Seems a display issue, since no data is lost when I start again.
  • wickramaj
    Options
    billsey said:
    If it's shutting off in a way that puts you back where you started... Hey.. thanks for helping out. No.. there is no fixed time period, sometimes happens soon after starting, sometimes after couple of minutes or hours. It seems nothing wrong with windows 10, since it is all up to date. Seems a display issue, since no data is lost when I start again.
  • billsey
    Options
    Let's take a look at the power settings. In Windows 10 go to Settings; System; Power and Sleep. What are your current settings for Screen and Sleep? Go to Additional power settings; Edit plan settings; Change advanced power settings and look at the settings for Turn off hard disk after. Report back.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • deanpark1
    deanpark1 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    I'm having the same problem and really need a solution.  I don't think the battery is bad.
  • billsey
    Options
    Could you follow my suggestions and report back?
  • Switch12
    Switch12 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    I have the same exact screen issues - it's just about 13 months after purchase - hence probably not covered. How annoying!!! To Billsey, if it's the same issue as mine, the screen literally colorful corrupted looking irregular lines and not cleanly blacks out, so I doubt if it's to do with the battery/sleep issues. Is this really a hardware issues, or is there anything I can do to fix it?? Thanks. 
  • billsey
    Options
    @Switch12 you should probably start a new thread, just in case yours is different. Include the model number, the OS and version that are currently running and photos showing the issue. We'll dig into it there.