CPU High and disk usage high Desktop AXC-704G-UW61

griztri
griztri Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Re-image so no software installed and still runs slow.  Not sure if CPU, HD or both are defective. I don't mind changing CPU but want to make sure I'm changing the defective component.
 Desktop is several years old and was purchase for older person to become familiar with using a computer. No software was installed but perhaps malware could have been installed or some other virus of sorts. Any body else run into this issue.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good night griztri !

Which version of Windows is installed?
    Already updated all your drivers?
    Access MSCONFIG and disable all applications and services that start with the system (just keep the ones from Microsoft) and restart the machine.
    Check operation.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• griztri

Tinkerer

Thank you, that helped. Now I am have a couple of challenges. McAfee does not want to uninstall. I was able to uninstall MS office. Also I am not able to connect to internet. Error Windows did not detect any networking hardware. Device manager does not display any errors. I can see the Realtek adapter.
    I must have disable some service on startup which is required for the network card.
  • griztri

Tinkerer

Also I keep receiving Acer BYOC is unavailable.
  • griztri

Tinkerer

I forgot to provide OS (Windows 10).
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good afternoon !
    Due to the number of errors generated and presented, I believe that restoring the system is the most viable and safe procedure.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,311 Trailblazer
    Do a Windows Reset and everything should get back to normal, all apps will be removed though. I'd guess there's a real good chance that the slow performance you were seeing was the anti-virus running a scan in the background. That's pretty normal when you shutdown when not using the computer. If you fire up Task Manager and go to the Performance tab you'll get the option to open Resource Manager where you can see much more detail as to which apps are hogging the system. A defrag on the disk might be in order also, with an older computer the disk tends to be smaller than on newer systems, and that often makes them fuller.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • griztri

Tinkerer

I already performed a system restore. The disabling of most app stopped the CPU from being at 100%. For some reason I am not able to see the network settings.
  • billsey
    How are you trying to get into network settings? You should be able to get info without needing Administrator access. We you able to get
    resource Manager up?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • griztri

Tinkerer

Oh, I must have disabled the drivers somewhere.  DL MS updates now.
    Based on MaClane suggestion, disabling apps allowed the PC not to be so slow.  
  • billsey
    The trick is to figure out which apps were bogging you down, then deciding on whether it *should* be bogging you down. You don't want to disable something that important but only runs once a day or once a week. Instead you want to manage it so it runs during off hours, like overnight.
  • griztri

Tinkerer

Yes, I agree with you but this little PC can barley handle opening up a browser. Thank you for the replies.
  • relic00
    relic00 Member Posts: 1 New User
    anybody know the dimensions for the motherboard for the Acer-AXC-704G-UW61?