Computer will not sleep when Lid is closed(Aspire a315-41)

John299
John299 Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
I cannot get my computer to sleep when i close the lid. i went into advanced power options and such to make sure it was set to sleep, even reset it several times, and it simply will not sleep. i have no clue what is wrong, all updates are latest, acer care centre says everythings up to date. Not sure what is wrong

Model Aspire a315-41, laptop is about 2-3 months old? and it used to sleep just fine when closing the lid.
I'm confused, please help. TY

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It seems that your lid closed sensor isn't working. The lid closed sensor is a Hall Effect board that connects to the motherboard with a small ribbon cable. Yours might be disconnected or it might have failed.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Open Control Panel again. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in the left pane. Change all button settings to sleep as shown below. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    this did not work
  • JackE
    Go back into the Control Panel power button application again. Click 'change settings that currently are unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup to disable fast boot. Shutdown. Then turn it back on again. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    this also unfortunately did nothing
  • JackE
    >>>I cannot get my computer to sleep when i close the lid>>>
    How are you determining that it doesn't go to sleep? Can you see that the screen stays lit? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    yes i can see that the screen stays lit, when it's closed if i level my eye in between a bit i can clearly see it's lit, i can also here it running, and see the fan spinning.
  • JackE
    >>>I >>>reset it several times>>>

OK. When you momentarily press the power button, does the system seem to go to sleep? If yes, I suspect a lid position sensor failure. Unfortunately, the best way to rule this in or out is full erase-everything factory reset using the ALT+F10 cold boot method. If you've already done this with the same result, then warranty service is suggested.

But if it were mine, I'd consider this a minor hardware issue that is in fact a good thing for me. So warranty service wouldn't be worth the bother unless something more serious failed. My reason is that the habit of constantly putting the system to sleep by closing the lid everytime I step away from the machine --- instead of simply pressing the power button --- puts undue stress on the hinges and video/cam ribbon cable.  Opening and closing the lid too much eventually leads to cracks and disruption of the ribbon conductor traces with loss of the LCD and/or videocam. While a new video ribbon cable is fairly cheap, it's a chore to replace it.

Jack E/NJ       

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    pressing the power button quickly doesn't do anything no. alt +f10 just opens up a volume control.
    if i held the power button it would shut down the machine though yes. Also manually selecting sleep/restart/shutdown from the windows menu functions fine.

I here ur suggestion, generally when im on the laptop it's for an hour or 2 at a time sometimes more, i don't just close it if i have to go to the bathroom or do something for 5-10 minutes, i leave it open, if long enough the screen will shut off, or hibernate eventually.
  • JackE
    edited June 2019
    >>> i leave it open, if long enough the screen will shut off, or hibernate eventually. >>>
    Open Control Panel again. Search 'power plan'. Click 'edit power plan' in the left pane. Set all timers to NEVER as shown below.

Also , make sure all of the power button settings as shown in my earlier posts to 'sleep', none to 'hibernate' or 'shutdown' and fast startup is turned off.

After making these changes, shutdown the machine again. Then reboot. If the problem still persists, then we can try the ALT+F10 cold boot reset. The ALT+F10 combo is done outside of the Windows environment at boot time, not while you're inside Windows. We can discuss that type of reset later after you change the power plan settings to see what happens.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    ok did everything, still no success. is it possible this is a driver or software issue?
  • JackE
    Since the power button and lid are acting the same way, I'm gonna guess it was caused by a wayward Win10update which we can try to block later on after a factory reset. Accordingly, I think you should back up your personal files and do a full erase-everything ALT+F10 cold boot factory re-set as shown in the video below. Turn you machine completely off. Then turn it back on and ****IMMEDIATELY**** press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear. Follow directions as in the video. A full ALT+F!0 cold boot erase-everything reset is probably the best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    hmmm but the update will just eventually reinstall itself.

• JackE
    The update can be blocked. Reset the system. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    ok, well hopefully can figure out witch update if it is.
    Question though, i have 2 hard drives on the computer. 1 witch was the original 1TB HDD the computer came with, but i have since recently installed a M.2 SSD hdd and cloned everything over to it, now the 1TB hdd is disabled as im not currently using it.
    Will this effect reset ability?
  • JackE
    It shouldn't if all four partitons were cloned onto the SSD. The ALT+F10 cold boot erase-everything reset, clears the SSD's three system reserved, efi, & C:\ system partitions from the hidden ACER recovery partition. Then clean installs the ACER-flavored factory versions back on from the hidden ACER recovery partition which should remain intact. In theory  :o  As long as Control Panel's system protection is enabled, the problem Win10 update can identified & reversed and either temporarily blocked until fixed with Microsoft's show-hide tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    i also forgot to mention that Opening the lid when the computer is alseep does not wake it up, but pressing any key (including the power button) does, also the mouse, and usb mouse will wake it up. usb mouse is manually turned off before trying to sleep the computer.

I have showing 2 hdd's 1 SSD and 1 ESP :D Drive that is 302mb/352mb
    not sure what that is, but yes i believe anyway that everything was cloned to the ssd. i would of just selected the old C: drive to clone over to the new ssd drive..........so if that recover was seperate from it, then it's long gone now. and i'm not interested in flashing a thumb drive and reinstalling windows as despite all my google efforts my success with that is marginal usually, and with a computer under warranty im not comfortable with it.
  • JackE
    Press WIN+R. Enter 'diskmgmt.msc'. Post screenshot of result if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• John299

here is the screenshot
  • JackE
    >>>now the 1TB hdd is disabled as im not currently using it.>>>

Sorry. The 1TB HDD is not disabled. It's just not the boot drive. And since there are no drive letters assigned to it, it won't show up in FileExplore so it's useless. The m.2 SSD boot drive does NOT have the ACER recovery OEM partition. So the ALT+F10 cold boot method won't work. The only way to re-set the system to factory fresh is by removing the m.2 card. Then making the HDD the boot drive again. What software did you use to clone the HDD onto the m.2 SSD? It looks to me like the m.2 was just plugged in, booted up again from the HDD, and then the cloning software applied. Then rebooted again from the m.2 without physically disconnecting HDD but leaving it in a useless state.  Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    Ok so after trying everything we went through. I decided to do a clean fresh installation of WIndows 10 Home Activated with the Key on the motherboard. Everything went well, however the problem is not fixed, regardless of what I do, the computer refuses to go to sleep when the lid is closed. I have to manually put it to sleep via the windows taskbar option next to shut down. At this point I am thinking their is a hardware defect with the computer. When the M.2 SSD was installed I booted from the original factory HDD and used a cloning software to clone the contents to the new SSD. Then the Old HDD was reformatted and wiped clean as I intended to use it as extra space for stuff. (Probably a mistake as this more then likely wiped my factory recovery stuff) oops. Anyways. Im not sure what method to take next.