Acer Chromebook 15 (CB3-532) Green Screen Video Issue?

JC987
JC987 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I bought a Acer Chromebook 15 (CB3-532) in February.  Use it only for surfing web, and not very often.  Have added no browser extensions, etc.  Installed no software, downloaded no apps.  Strictly stock use via chrome browser that came on machine.  A couple of weeks ago an issue started arising when playing embedded videos on websites or streaming video.  The video window goes completely green.  Audio is unaffected.  Googled and saw this has been encountered, but mainly when using chrome browser on windows machines, and work around was to go into settings and disable hardware acceleration, but this is not an option on my chromebook.  Have tired a few other suggestions I saw online, including clearing cache, restoring factory settings, doing a full "powerwash" restore, and some kind of hardware reset by holding down the circular arrow key above the number 4 on the keyboard while turning on the chromebook.  All of these seem to fix the problem for anywhere from 2-20 minutes, and then problem returns. 

Need help!!  Thanks!!!

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hi @JC987,

Try to got to settings .
    'Accessibility Settings': Click or tap the status area in the bottom right corner > Settings > Advanced (at the bottom) > Manage Accessibility Features.
    Check the 'High contrast mode'.
    Image result for invert color chromebook

Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • VPitman
    VPitman Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited May 2019
    I have a similar problem that just started a few weeks ago with my son’s Chrimebook 15 (CB5-571). I’m pretty sure it’s a hardware issue, and when I try switching to High Contrast mode, it changes to a purple-tinged color. What’s the fastest way to get this fixed? This is a little over three years old and has been fantastic, til now. Trying to decide if it’s cheaper to repair or replace.
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hi @VPitman,

Try to hold the refresh and power button for a hard shutdown. Image result for chromebook hard reset

Try to do a power wash if you still have the same issue. Follow the link below. 
    https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183084?hl=en
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)