Acer C720 battery hassles

gurucubano
gurucubano Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,
I own since 2015 an Acer C720 which works like a dream and fulfills all my needs. After some years the battery seemed to go to EOL. It went down from 100% to 50% in 2 hours relatively linear, and then from 50% to zero within a few minutes. So, what? I just bought a new battery (the dealer claimed "Acer original"). This showed on first boot 100% and lasts for around 4,5 hours, After this, it charged only to 78% and the amber light turns blue, but the battery level shows 78% only. During the next few days this maximum went up day by day by 1%. And while working it lasted yesterday from 88% to 12% four hours and the rest was consumed within 2 minutes.  What does this mean, that the maximum does not reach 100% ?
Thanks, Matthias

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    A slight variation in voltage is acceptable. Even the battery you have installed is compatible with your notebook, see:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning gurucubano !

Being a new battery, did you calibrate the cells?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• gurucubano
    I booted the C720 without power supply attached, it showed 100%, and I let it drain until power-off. Then I plugged-in power and it charged only until 76%. Anything else I should have done or do?
  • MaClane
    CALIBRATION AND BATTERY RESET

First, disable Quick Start in the power options and disconnect the notebook from the power outlet.

httpsikinja-imgcomgawker-mediaimageuploads--xWOn54Iw--c_scalef_autofl_progressiveq_80w_8001526844273443938480png

BATTERY CONTROLLER RESET
    Access the device manager and look for the "acpi-compatible control method battery driver" and "Microsoft AC Adapter" and give it up.
    Then restart the notebook for Windows to reinstall and remove any errors.

httpsimagesdrivereasycomwp-contentuploads201811img_5bfe7020cb7efjpg

Process to reset the battery

Disconnect the power adapter.
        Locate the hole to reset the battery in the bottom of the computer.
        He inserted a small clip into the hole. Hold the reset button for 05 seconds.
        Let the computer rest for 5 minutes without power.
        Plug in the power adapter and turn on the system.

External Battery Pack

If your notebook has an external battery, proceed as follows:
    1- Unplug the appliance from the mains and then disconnect the battery.
    2- Press the power button for thirty seconds, so that the static power is dissipated.
    3 - Replace the battery and turn the unit on.

Process for calibrating the battery

For this, you must turn off the device and give a 100% charge.
    Then unplug and use the battery until the battery runs out.
    Reload it as before.
    Repeat the process 3 times so that all cells are fully calibrated.
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• gurucubano
    You guide looks like for Windows (my Acer C720 does not run Windows) and your photo from its bottom part does not look like an Acer C720.
  • MaClane
    gurucubano disse:
    You guide looks like for Windows (my Acer C720 does not run Windows) and your photo from its bottom part does not look like an Acer C720.
    Really!
    Your device uses Chrome OS.
    I was targeting another user with the same problem and I ended up performing the wrong post.
    My apologies for that!
    As for the battery reset, the video created by Acer just to inform.
    But all the sparks have such a hole in the back, not always in the same position.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • gurucubano
    The is no hole in the back of the Acer C720, see the foto below. The device was running ChromeOS when it came from Acer, but is today running FreeBSD and Ubuntu.

• gurucubano
    This page https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/acer-c720-chromebook has a view from below in an open Acer C720. Maybe you're talking about the switch with the number 5. I will open the device and will have a loook what kind of switch this is...
  • gurucubano
    Also videos about battery replacements like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyQNHqQh6gw , do not mention any additional switch or hole to press.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gurucubano
    I booted the Acer C720 yesterday from an external USB disk with an Ubuntu 18.04. The tools there show the same values:
    /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/uevent:
    POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=BAT0
    POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Unknown
    POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
    POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Li-ion
    POWER_SUPPLY_CYCLE_COUNT=0
    POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_MIN_DESIGN=10800000
    POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=12293000
    POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_NOW=0
    POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL_DESIGN=3920000
    POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL=3900000
    POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_NOW=3137000
    POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=80
    POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY_LEVEL=Normal
    POWER_SUPPLY_MODEL_NAME=AP13J3K
    POWER_SUPPLY_MANUFACTURER=SANYCor
    POWER_SUPPLY_SERIAL_NUMBER=0001

/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/voltage_min_design:

/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/voltage_now:

I think this battery is just broken (i.e. old). even if the dealer claims it is new and original from Acer
  • I do not see anything wrong here! In my opinion, you should calibrate the battery!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gurucubano
    How should I calibrtate it? I have only Ubuntu or FreeBSD on this Acer C720, no Windows, no ChromeOS, and no hole in the bottom case as someone suggested :-)

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gurucubano
    Does this tool power-calibrate(8) from Ubuntu does anything with the battery itself and will it after reboot to FreeBSD have the battery fixed or does it only fix the "impression" in the Ubuntu kernel about the capacity of the battery? If not, it's useless for me, because I use my Acer C720 with FreeBSD. In any case, I will bring up this tool power-calibrate(8)  in the FreeBSD groups to see how the FreeBSD community thinks about "battery calibration" (what ever this means). Thanks for the pointer.
  • You can also calibrate the battery manually, that is, by fully charging it with the notebook off and then use the notebook uninterrupted until it shuts off!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gurucubano
    Can you please give an exact procedure to do it manually? Like:
    1. switch it off
    2. charge until full (how I do know that it is charged fully?)
    3. switch it on without power supply
    4. let it consume all energy until it goes off
    The problem is in (2). Well, I did this already more than once. It charges only until ~80%

• 2) Let the battery charge fully until the blue light appears!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gurucubano
    I did so. When it was down (after consuming all energy of the battery), I plugged in the power, rebooted and now it charges only up to 75% and the LED turns from amber to blue. I know this already, in the following days of usage this percentage of this "LED=blue full point" will go up day by day around 1%, i.e. tomorrow 76%, the day after 77% ... etc.
  • Can you still replace the battery with the dealer?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer