C730 Chromebook Battery No Longer Charging

JustinT
JustinT Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I've got about 20 C720 Chromebooks and a handful stopped charging over the summer.  The battery indicator light is orange.  The battery meter in the menu gets up to between 1 and 50% depending on the chromebook, then the "h:mm until full" timer gets higher and higher and eventually the text disappears altogether.
On a few, the issue was resolved when I updated Chrome OS.
On the others, I've tried:
  1. Updating Chrome OS
  2. Performing a hard reset using the refresh and power buttons
  3. holding down the Esc-Refresh-Power until the ! screen shows up, then pressing Refresh-Power 
  4. Using known-good Power adapters
  5. Reseating the battery
  6. Putting the chromebook in pre-charge mode by unplugging it while holding Refresh-Power
  7. Powerwash
battery_test shows battery health above 90% 
These machines are about 20 months old. Does anyone have any ideas?

Best Answer

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    JustinT 
    This is not an hardware issue, A recent Chrome OS software update is causing some Chromebook models to incorrectly display the battery charge status. The battery should be still functioning at full capacity, and usage time should not be impacted. 
    Check this updated (03/19/2018) link and see whether it helps :  https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51932 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • JustinT
    Thanks for the reply Sharanji.  That was probably the issue for the ones that updating Chrome OS resolved. I have a number of machines still having the issue after updating.  On these, usage time is impacted. 
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    JustinT said:
    Thanks for the reply Sharanji.  That was probably the issue for the ones that updating Chrome OS resolved. I have a number of machines still having the issue after updating.  On these, usage time is impacted. 
    JustinT 
    If you have large number of Chromebooks affected with same issue, you can also send a private message to Acer-Manny with the serial / SNID number of your device so that the concerned team can check  and help you address your concerns. https://community.acer.com/en/messages/add/Acer-Manny 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • JustinT
    Answer ✓
    For anyone who stumbles on this old post, I fixed these Chromebooks by following the procedure at https://chromeunboxed.com/news/acer-chromebook-r11-batter-not-charging

The short version is to unplug, power down, boot into recovery mode, plug the Chromebook in, wait 6 hours, then reboot. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,265 Trailblazer
    Thanks for posting this tip. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ